Chapter 26

Josh POV

I wake up to hear Colleen calling me. I sit up and look down at her crying. "Josh I need to go to the hospital now" she says. "Why?" I ask on the verge of tears. "I am super nauseous and my legs are cramping big time" she winces. I get dressed fast and grab my phone. 3:14am. I throw some PJ pants on her and scoop her up and walk out the door. As I lock the door I place her down and she vomits into our garden. "Joshua!" she says crying as she continuously vomits. I get on my phone and call 911 as she lays in the grass throwing up. I am running my hands through her hair trying to calm her down. The ambulance pulls up and I explain to them about the diabetes and that she is 32 weeks pregnant. They place her on the stretcher and start stabilizing her. She is throwing up more than ever into a bag. They take her blood and start calling into the hospital. I call her mom and sister to meet me. She is super sick. We finally reach the hospital and they roll her in as I wait. About 45 minutes later Gwen and Tim walk in with Rachel who was staying at their house. I hug Rachel tight and cry. "Mr Evans?" a doctor asks me as I release Rachel from the hug. "Yes" I say. "Colleen's kidneys are slowing down due to her diabetes. Her creatinine levels are sky high. We are trying to eliminate them from her system. The baby is ok but without Colleen being okay we don't know for how long. We have hooked her up to a dialysis to flush her kidneys" he says. I feel numb as I look over at Rachel. "She will be on a strict diet until the baby is born and bed rest" he says. "You can see her now. She is in room 112" he says smiling. Rachel grabs my hand as I am silently crying as we walk down the hall to see her. All of us walk in and see her sleeping as a nurse fiddles with machines beside her. "Mr Evans?" the nurse asks quietly. I nod. "This machine is here to flush out her kidneys and then we will detach her around lunch time or dinner time" she says. "I just wanted to explain what it was in case you were wondering" she says as she walks away. "I appreciate that thank you" I say as I go and sit beside Colleen. Gwen is standing on the other side of her looking at her. "She was working too hard wasn't she?" she asks me. "Yes but she was trying. She just called her work yesterday to tell them she won't be back until well after the baby was born" I say rubbing her hand as her eyes open. "Is the baby ok?" Colleen asks with tears in her eyes. "Yes babe its just you they are worried about. You hungry Colleen?" I ask her. "A Little" she replies wiping her eyes. " I will go ask the nurse for you ok?" I say. I get up and go to leave the room and I hear Gwen and her talking with Colleen crying because she is worried. Gwen is hugging her tight as I quickly leave the room before I start crying.