Chapter 85

Josh POV

Colleen starts shaking. "Baby stay with me" I say as Rachel sits with her as I run to the fridge. I grab one of the left over syringes she had in the fridge from before the pump. I race back with a fast acting one and jab her leg. Rachel is rubbing my back as I wipe tears from my face. Colleen is totally out of it. Finally after 30 seconds I see her start looking around at us. "What happened?" She asks. I grab her and hug her as I cry into her shoulder. She hugs me tight. She detaches the pump from her. I take her reading again. It is 14.9. "Rachel drive me to the diabetic clinic in the hospital now please. Something is going on" she asks as she grabs the pump. "I will come babe" I say. "Josh baby just stay with the kids. I will be right back ok?" she says. "Lily needs you she is a mess" she whispers into my ear. We both look at Lily and she has tears streaming down her face. "Mommy is ok now sweetheart" Colleen says as she hugs her. "Daddy is going to put you to bed and read you a book ok?" Colleen says. I see her stand up and her and Rachel get up to leave. I walk back to Lily and finish rinsing her and Noah off. Lily and I are singing to try and lighten the mood. As I put Noah down Lily waits for me at his doorway. I turn around and walk her into bed and grab her favourite book. "Daddy what is wrong with Mommy?" she asks. "Mommy has Diabetes baby. It means her body doesn't know what to do with sugar. Its hard to describe to you. But she is okay now" I say. She leans in and hugs me. "I hope she is" she says. We finish the book and I lay her down and say goodnight and leave the room. I go and sit in the living room waiting for Colleen to return.

About an hour later they come back home. I stand up to meet them. Colleen looks exhausted. "What happened babe?" I say grabbing her hand. "The fucking pump is broken. It has been pumping insulin into my system for weeks without me even needing it as it was misreading my sugar levels. Then today it just totally shut down not feeding me any" she says getting upset. "So the pump using 6 to 7 times the amount was when the pump was broken" she says. "I got my regular syringes back until my pump gets fixed or replaced in two days" she says holding a pharmacy bag. I take them from her and put them in the fridge. "The diabetic doctor gave me a shot to calm my nerves" she adds plopping herself down on the couch. "How is the baby?" I ask. "The doctor wasn't thrilled when I told him that I was pregnant and the baby has ingested that much insulin. It could have harmed ..." she says crying. I go to hug her and she gets up and walks down to our bedroom. "She has been crying all the way home" Rachel says quietly. "They want her back in the morning for tests" she says. I hug Rachel and say goodnight. She is coming back in the morning with the new nanny to watch the kids for Colleens string of tests. This is upsetting.