Chapter 70

Colleen POV

"Babe time to wake up" Josh says quietly above me. I am confused at first as it is pitch black then I remember the MRI. Josh takes the covers off of me. "Keep your onesie on babe then you can come home and slide right back into bed" he says as I shuffle to brush my hair up into a ponytail and brush my teeth. We walk out quietly to the car and drive to the hospital.
"Colleen just lay here with these headphones on which will numb the loud noise the machine makes. You can click the button here in your hand if you need to talk to me" the MRI tech says. I look at Josh on my other side. I am panicking about put in the tight space of this machine. "Colleen you have to do it babe. Talk to me the whole time ok?" He says rubbing my cheek. "I am ready" I say closing my eyes as the tech starts to roll me back into this super loud machine. "Baby doing ok?" Josh asks through my headset. I smile. "I am good babe. Tell me a story" I say. He starts to talk for the next 20 minutes until the test is over. We walk back out to the car and make our way home to bed. I cuddle instantly into Josh and fall right back asleep.

I wake up at 6am a little uncomfortable but more so because I cannot stop worrying. I sit on the couch in the dark living room and watch Netflix with my favourite comforter. I hear Noah wake up so I go to get him before he cries any louder waking Josh up. I bring him back to the couch and feed him. I feel a hand on my shoulder and look up to see Josh. "You need sleep babe" he says. "Feeding Noah and then I will come back to bed" I say smiling. He sits behind me and watches me feed him. "So amazing" he whispers kissing my neck. I smile. Finally Noah sleeps and Josh brings him back to his crib and we do the same. "Stomach isn't doing too well" I say nuzzling into Josh. "Why didn't you tell me?" He asks. "Can't do anything and we will see the doctor in a few hours. Sleep Josh" I say. Josh falls asleep but I can feel him dreaming. He seems tense. I know he is worried but will try and never show it.

We make our way to the doctor after lunch. I can tell Josh is on edge as we wait for the doctor."We will get through it no matter what babe" Josh says as he grabs my hand. The doctor walks in with my chart. "I got the results back this morning. They aren't great" he says. "Your one kidney is functioning at 70% and the other at 30%. The one that isn't working that well is depending on the better one to continue but because of the infection and the diabetes... Well... It is getting tired so to speak" the doctor says. "So whats next?" Josh asks now standing up with his arm around me. "Number one we get you on a diabetic pump today so at least we don't do any more damage. Number two we finish your antibiotics for your infection and number three you do twice weekly dialysis treatments at the clinic for about a month to see if everything calms down" he says. I look at Josh and I am devastated.