Mixed Feelings (Thorin Oakenshield x fem!reader)

(a/n: reader is half dwarf/half elf)

Thorin Oakenshield, Son of Thrain, Son of Thror, King Under the Mountain was perplexed. He paced in his cell in Mirkwood, going over the scenario over and over again. He despised you...didn't he? Then why had he stood up for you? You were an annoyance and no asset to the Company. You had no claim to the Mountain. The only reason you were even with the Company was because you had saved them once from an orc pack. So why, in Mahal's name, was Thorin so upset by Thranduil's comments?

*flashback*

You all stood in front of Thranduil. All 15 of you.13 dwarves, one hobbit and you. Thranduil's eyes found you right away and his smirk turned into a grimace. You were used to that kind of reaction. You weren't like others in Middle Earth. You were half elf and half dwarf. You weren't, however, used to the derogatory words spewing from Thranduil's mouth.

Before you could say a word in retort, Thorin leapt to your defense. Everyone was shocked, especially you and, before you knew what was happening, Thranduil ordered you all to be thrown in the dungeons except for Thorin. Thorin watched as his Company was dragged away. As you were dragged away from him.

*end flashback*

After what seemed like hours, Thorin heard the sound of keys jingling and Bilbo appeared. Thorin soon found himself stuffed in a barrel...with you. He could tell you were slightly uncomfortable. After all, he hadn't given you any reason to be comfortable in his presence, especially not so close. All the thrashing about in the river wasn't helping. You kept trying to stay on the opposite side of the barrel from him, but the rapids kept pushing you back into him. You'd never been more grateful to see land when the barrels finally stopped.

Thorin kept one eye on you as you slowly slid from the barrel onto the rocky land. As he took in the sight of your wet hair clinging to face and neck, Thorin realized just how lovely you were. As you walked over to Kili to check on his injury, Thorin noticed just how strong and caring you were. Finally, as you joined Dwalin in protecting Ori from a stranger's bow, Thorin Oakenshield realized that he wasn't confused anymore. He didn't hate you at all. He loved you.

You stood near the front of the barge as the Company headed into Lake Town, keeping a keen eye out for any threat. Thorin took that moment to come and stand next to you. "Y/N? I feel as though I should apologize to you. I have been unnecessarily harsh. Some might even say cruel and you did not deserve that." You turned your head to look and him, a small smile on your face.

"Thank you, Thorin," you whispered so the rest of the Company would not overhear you. "There is another matter that I wish to discuss," Thorin began but you silenced him. "Thorin, whatever it is can wait. Our journey is not over yet and it would not do for you to be distracted when there is still a mountain to reclaim." Thorin looked at you and sighed. "That may be true, but unfortunately I feel I should be far more distracted if I do not say what I need to."

You gave a little nod of your head and Thorin continued in a low tone, "I should very much like to tell you that I have recently discovered something I was unaware off." You tilted your head and waited patiently for him to continue. "Believe me when I tell you that I do not say this lightly. I love you, Y/N. I love your caring nature. I love how you can cut down a pack of orcs one moment and be joking with Bofur the next. I love how you do not hesitate to put me in place when I deserve it. I love you and nothing would give me more joy than your permission to court you properly once we have reclaimed Erebor."

You were silent as Thorin finished his speech. He reached up and wiped away a tear you didn't know had fallen. "Please say something, Y/N." His voice was soft and pleading. "I...I am not sure what to say. I never believed I would hear those words from anyone, let alone my King," you whispered. Thorin's expression did not change. He was braced for whatever you said, rejection or otherwise. After a few moments of gazing into those cerulean eyes, you sighed happily and said, "I would be honored, Thorin." Thorin smiled and gave the tip of your nose a peck before bringing his lips to yours. Your kiss was cut short by the members of the Company whistling and cat-calling. Thorin pulled back enough to shoot them a glare before turning to you and smiling again.