Support (Thranduil x reader)

You fought to keep the frown off your face when you saw your king sink onto his throne. It wasn't like him. He'd been working so hard to help the kingdom. He did everything he could to keep your people safe, protected, and cared for. Since your prince had left, Thranduil had even taken on training some of the guard. He did so much and asked so little in return. It was what those outside of the realm never saw. They never got to see the sacrifices Thranduil made. Not like you did.

You were no one important. An easily replaceable guard, but you wanted to make sure that Thranduil knew how much his stress bothered you and how much you appreciated what he did. "My King?" you asked, slowly approaching him. You were happy to be alone at the moment.

"What is it?" His voice was sharp, but you didn't take offense. "I wanted to thank you." Thranduil's eyes opened and he peered at you. "What?" You straightened up and repeated yourself. "You have done so much for us all, My King, always putting our needs ahead of your own. And you rarely receive verbal gratitude. Whatever you need that I can give, is yours, King Thranduil."

For a moment, Thranduil sat there, stone still with his icy eyes staring at you. You stood your ground under the intense stare. "Thank you, Y/N. I hadn't realized how much I needed to hear those words until now." You blinked in surprise. You'd hardly even spoken to him before and yet he knew your name? Clearly, your expression was somewhat humorous because Thranduil began laughing lightly. "Yes, I know your name, Y/N. I know the names of most of my people. As for what I need from you; just continue exactly as you have been. Your support in all matters is a strength we could all use." You smiled at him. That was easy enough.

After that moment, you grew closer to the king. Probably closer than was viewed as appropriate for a guard and their king, but you didn't care and it seemed neither did Thranduil. Often times, the two of you would end your days dining together, rather than with you standing guard over him. You were asked to join him in meetings with the rulers of other realms and you were asked for advice on more than one occasion.

Not only did Thranduil seek your advice; he also sought your companionship. You wouldn't go so far as to say you were the best of friends (Thranduil would have if anyone asked). However, you could say that your feelings for your king were quickly growing into something you would soon not be able to control. Still, you kept your growing feelings to yourself and did your best to support Thranduil in all his endeavors. You had no idea how much that support truly meant to him.

Since his wife's death, Thranduil hadn't been close to anyone. He remained alive merely for the sake of his son and kingdom. But then he met you. At first, he hadn't thought much of you. You were just another guard. But then, you had spoken up. You had actually thanked him. You used words to express your gratitude for what he was trying to do.

From then on, Thranduil began to enjoy your company. He liked having you around. And surprisingly enough, it wasn't because you played to his ego. You didn't. You offered advice when asked and respectfully informed him when he was wrong or when his idea wasn't the best. He listened to you because you were one of his people and who better to know what the people needed or wanted? He listened to you because you spoke to him, not only as your king, but as a friend might.

If Thranduil were honest, he'd say that you were the best friend he'd had in a long time. He would say that sometimes, when he was alone, he could see you as more than a friend. There was something brewing between you that was more than friendship. Something Thranduil had only felt twice before in his life. Once, when he met his late wife. The second when his son was born. He never dared to dream that he would find this kind of feeling again.

"My King, what troubles you?" you asked, bringing Thranduil from his thoughts. He quickly made up something so you wouldn't know he had been thinking about you yet again. "I was right in letting Legolas go...was I not?" You frowned a bit a cocked your head to the side. "I couldn't say, My King. I have no children. I would not know what to do in your place."

"I kept him close for so long." You drew closer to him and laid a hand on his shoulder. You had learned early on that Thranduil appreciated such gestures when the two of you were alone. It was just another form of support. "My-Thranduil, I am certain you did what you felt was best for him, as you always do. The prince is no longer a child. He is destined for great things. Just as his father is." Thranduil glanced up at you and you smiled.

"Your loyalty is admirable, Y/N." You shook your head before moving to sit in the seat to the left of his. "It is not loyalty, Thranduil, though I am loyal to you. You have earned more than my loyalty. You have earned my respect, friendship, and-" you cut off, tearing your eyes away from the king. Thranduil narrowed his own eyes. It wasn't like you to cut off mid-sentence.

"And what?" he pressed. You slowly turned your head back to look at him. "And my love," you whispered. Thranduil said nothing at first. "Forgive me, My King. I should not have been so bold. I will leave you in peace. Good evening." You moved to stand, but Thranduil's hand shot out to grab your wrist. Still, he said nothing and you grew uneasy again. "I know I have no right to ask for your love in return. I should have kept to myself. I apologize," you rambled.

"The right?" Thranduil finally asked, "You have the only right, Y/N. You have given so much and ask so little in return. But I am afraid I cannot give you my love." Another frown made its way to your face before Thranduil continued, "I cannot give to you what you have already stolen." Your eyes widened slightly. "M-My King?"

"I never dared to think I would be fortunate enough tohave another love in my life. I had accepted that. Then you entered my life, giving me support in everything, even small decisions that were of no consequence to anyone but myself. You became a friend and companion that I did not know I needed. My life and heart are full again in ways I never expected because of you." You couldn't fight the smile on your face as Thranduil professed his love for you. Neither of you knew what would happen next, but you knew that you would be there to support and love one another.