Near Separation (Fili x male!reader)

(Everybody lives AU)

Y/N felt his heart clench as he saw Fili kiss the darrowdam on the cheek. He knew that Fili would be pressured to find a princess after the mountain was won, but he didn't expect it to be so soon. Y/N and Fili had been friends for longer than either could remember, but what they hadn't realized was that they both loved each other too. Y/N loved Fili for his optimistic attitude and caring nature. Fili loved Y/N's sense of adventure and sarcastic wit. The problem was, neither one said anything to the other and now it appeared that it was too late.

"You should congratulate him, Y/N," Thorin's voice cut through Y/N's brooding. Y/N looked at Thorin with a frown. Apparently, he'd missed something. "Were you not listening? Fili is betrothed." Y/N clenched his jaw and nodded. "I will speak with him now," he told Thorin through his teeth before making his way over to Fili.

Fili looked at Y/N, his blue-green eyes filled with what looked like sadness. It was very faint. Hardly noticeable to those who didn't know Fili the way Y/N did. "Congratulations are in order, my friend," Y/N mumbled, trying to keep his feelings of jealousy and hurt at bay. Fili wasn't his to feel this way over. "Thank you, Y/N." Y/N forced a smile. He had to act like everything was alright and he wasn't being torn to shreds inside.

"Perhaps we could grab an ale later? You haven't had the chance to regale me with the tale of your journey for our home," Y/N offered, making Fili grin although the sorrow was still present in his eyes. "Gladly. I can tell you how I rode in a barrel out of Mirkwood or how Kili and I nearly lost our ponies." Y/N chuckled as Fili's betrothed leaned closer to Fili. "That sounds wonderful. Just don't be too late, my love. We start wedding planning tomorrow." With a fake smile, Fili replied that he would be back early.

Later that night, Y/N and Fili were in the kitchens, drinking and talking the way they always had. It took several ales before Fili actually began opening up. He wasn't drunk, but he was just buzzed enough to loosen his tongue.

"You know, I don't love her. My betrothed," he told Y/N. "You don't? Then why are you marrying her?" Fili shrugged and took another sip of ale. "It's what's expected of me. Uncle has no plans to marry, so it's up to me to continue the line of Durin." Y/N rolled his eyes. Of course that's what it would be. Swallowing the lump in his throat, Y/N asked, "If you had your choice, what would you do instead?"

Fili blinked in response at first, as if he were unsure how to answer the question. In truth, there was an internal battle happening. Fili wasn't sure if it was the ale or if he was finally cracking under the pressure of having to marry or if it was just the right time to say it. "I wouldn't marry at all unless it could be to someone I love." Y/N swallowed thickly again. "And...do you love anyone?" Fili nodded.

Even though he didn't want to know, Y/N asked, "Do I know her?" Fili's face flushed a deep red. "Him," came the whispered reply. He said it so softly that Y/N almost didn't hear it. "Him?" Fili nodded once more and Y/N could tell he was embarrassed. "Okay, so who is he?" Fili's mouth dropped open. "What?" Y/N asked. "You're not reacting the way I thought you would." Y/N shrugged. "So you love a lad. What's so bad about that?"

Fili's brows furrowed. "I don't love a lad. Not just any lad anyway. I love you!" Y/N nearly fell off his stool. "Wait, what? Me?" Fili nodded as the blush on his cheeks deepened. "Forgive me. I should not have told you." He moved to get up. "Yes you should have." Fili stopped and looked at his friend. "Or rather, I should have told you a long time ago that I love you too. I should have said before you left on your journey." Fili reached over and placed his hand on Y/N's. No more words were exchanged at the two men gazed at one another.

The next morning, Fili marched into his uncle's study, Y/N's hand grasped in his. He had gathered all his courage and was determined to tell his uncle the true. "Uncle." Thorin looked up from the papers in front of him. He frowned at the sight of Fili and Y/N holding onto one another. "What can I do for you, Fili?" Steeling his nerves, Fili stood straight and replied, "I have come to inform you of my intentions to break off my betrothal." Thorin stared in shock for a moment.

"I see. And what brought this on?" Y/N gave Fili's hand a squeeze before letting go. Fili smiled at him and answered, "I don't want to marry someone I don't love and I don't love her. I love Y/N. I always have. He's been there for me when no one else was and he brings out the best in me." Thorin glanced between the two with a frown on his face. "Fili, this is unacceptable. You are responsible for carrying on the line of Durin."

"I don't care, Uncle. Kili is more than capable of that or, better yet, you could wed and produce an heir yourself. I am NOT giving up my happiness simply because it's what should be done. Have we not suffered enough, Uncle? Have I not been separated from love simply because of my status as a prince? I don't ask for much but please, let me have this."

During Fili's speech, it took everything in Y/N not to wrap his arms around the prince. Fili was not one to express himself openly, not like his brother, so for him to say such things to his uncle was touching. Y/N knew it was difficult for him. "You truly love him?" Thorin asked to which Fili nodded. Thorin sat back in his chair, pondering everything his nephew had just said. Then, his lips split in a small smile. "Who am I to stand in the way of love?" Fili's face lit up.

"Does this mean you approve?" Thorin nodded. "I see something I have sorely missed out on when you look at Y/N. I cannot break that." Fili turned and wrapped his arms around Y/N."However..."Thorin began, making the two break apart, "I leave it to you to tell your mother." Fili's beautiful eyes widened making Thorin and Y/N laugh.

"50)