Short Stories 5

Story #1

Shared by Eismann

This story happened not so long ago when we were still teens. My cousins and I, we were a close pack back then. Even our parents who are cousins are the same. When there is a birthday or anniversary, it's always like a reunion and the weekend will be filled with mahjong, eating and drinking. It was my lola's (aunt of my Nanay) birthday and we were at their place in Mandaluyong for the weekend. On that Saturday morning, we were the first to arrive at my lola's place, an old big house they have been renting since I can't remember when. My tita(daughter of my lola) who lives in Isabela arrived with her husband from her second marriage at around noon. She has a grown son from her first marriage, our manong Dodo who did not arrive with them that day, and two daughters just about our age 15 and 13. Later that afternoon, the old house is filled with relatives from as far as Soldiers' Hill Muntinlupa(we felt it was already far during those days). It's easy to spot a cousin who is not with us because we usually eat and chat together before we play board games or skate/bike together outside the street. Night came and at around 630pm just when the sun began to set, the phone rang and I took the call from manong Dodo. He said he was riding his motorbike from Isabela and that he will be arriving late. He talked to my aunt (his mom) then later to her sisters. Later on, the 9 of us waited for our turn to be able to talk to him. At the end of each conversation, he was kinda saying goodbye and telling us how happy it was to be attending these get-togethers. The "long-distance" phone call lasted for about 1 and a half hours and if it was not for dinner already running cold, we would have not stopped chatting passing the phone to each other and trying to listen to the flow of the conversation. Manong Dodo ended that phone call always assuring us that he will be home soon and that we should wait for him before we start the millionaires' game. Our parents were busy with mahjong and we just started to mix the punch when at about 9pm the phone rang again. Someone is looking for my aunt who at this time was already very engaged in mahjong. She hurriedly took the call and this time it was one of the friends of manong Dodo who was riding his motorbike with him to Manila. He told my aunt about a fatal motorcycle crash on a balete tree that took place about 3 hours ago along the Nueva Ecija highway and my manong Dodo was D.O.A in the local hospital. She can't believe what she just heard because manong Dodo called us up and have actually talked to us on the very same moment. When everything was firmed up, manong Dodo's time of death was at exactly 630pm. It made us sick to our stomach that for 1 and a half hours we were talking to our "already" dead cousin.

Story #2

Shared by Nell

Experience : 1

Naka-confine nun yung grandfather ko sa Mary Johnston Hospital at ako ang magbabantay overnight. Yung pinto nung room nung lolo ko eh lumalangitngit pag binubuksan kaya nalalaman ko agad pag may papasok dahil tutunog agad yung door. The night came at tulog na ang lolo ko kaya I decided to sleep. At around 3am nagising na lang ako sa tili nung nurse dahil nag-brownout pala. I was still lying on the sofa when suddenly may naaninag ako, madilim nun at ang tanging ilaw ay galing sa buwan, someone approaching my lolo dressed in white tipong nurse. Dahil sa antok eh pinabayaan ko na lang thinking na baka iche-check lang yung BP. Then suddenly nung medyo nahimasmasan na ako tsaka ko lang naisip na hindi ko narinig na lumangitngit yung door at sinong tanga ang papasok para mag-check ng BP without having a flashlight/candle dahil sa dilim. The next thing I heared are the nurses making rounds na may dalang flashlights to check on the patients. Then biglang nagkailaw na. Tapos may pumasok na nurse at doon na lumangitngit ulit yung door.

Experience : 2

This happened sa office. Para makapunta ako sa computer ko I have to pass the stockroom kung saan nakatambak yung mga printed materials nung office namin. Nung minsan papunta ako sa computer ko I noticed someone na naka-white at nakaupo dun sa may mga boxes na parang may inaayos. At first I thought it was Roger, yung officemate ko na in-charge of cutting the materials at inaayos lang yung puputulin niya kaya I went to my computer. Then suddenly naisip ko na may itatanong nga pala ako kay Roger so I went to the stockroom to ask him pero pagdating ko don eh walang tao. I checked the whole room pero wala talagang tao. Walang makakalabas dun sa room na yun without me noticing dahil nakaharap mismo yung computer ko sa may door nung stockroom. After some research nalaman ko na room pala yon nung namatay na american missionary na laging naka-white at kasing katawan ni Roger. At hobby na niya ang laging ayusin ang laman ng boxes of goods niya.