CHAPTER EIGHT

I wiped my sweaty palms over my shorts as the car turned off into his street. My heartbeat escalated when his house came into view. A few seconds later we pulled up in front of it. I reached out to open the door, but paused when Patrick placed his hands on my arm. Sucking in a breath, I glanced at him.

“Does your father know about this?”

“What do you think?” I muttered with a smirk.

He rubbed a hand down his face before glancing at the house then back to me. “Look, you're old enough to make your own choices so I'm not going to interfere, but I need to know this. Is this what you really want?” I frowned at him ready to question him, but he shook his head. “I was your age once so I understand the urges and the curiosity that comes with it. I just don't want you to do something you'll regret.”

“We're not having sex,” I muttered, leaning back against the seat.

“Not yet.” My cheeks heated. “I know what I walked in on Alia and I could see the attraction between the two of you. You're inexperienced but he's not. Like I said, I'm not going to interfere but if he does something that makes you scared, I want you to leave. I've seen a lot of shit in my life and I don't want that to happen to you. Promise me if things get out of hand and he scares you that you'll end it.”

I nodded as I swallowed the lump that had formed in my throat. My own father would never have said anything like this to me. He would never say anything period! He was always busy looking for thing to yell at me. Like the accident. The moment he got home he was in my face about it. Mom didn't even stop him when he yelled at me. He didn't even ask me if I was okay or if I needed anything.

“Thank you,” I whispered.

My eyes fell on him only for a second. If I looked at him any longer then I would definitely burst into tears.

“Do you want me to come pick you up?” I paused. “Just call me when you're done. I told you're mom we'd be working on the car.”

A tear dripped down my cheeks but I quickly wiped it away. Giving him a small smile, I grabbed my bag before climbing out of the car. I was conscious of his eyes one me as I walked to the front door. The doorbell echoed around the house as I pressed the small button next to the door. My hands clutched the end of my shirt nervously when the door opened.  

“Hi,” I whispered, doing my best to avoid his eyes.

“Hi,” he muttered, “he's not going to come in here and skin me alive, is he?”

My lips pulled up into a smile as I raised my head to look up at him. Stephen was watching me with unreadable eyes.

“Not if you don't give him any reason to.”

His lips twitched but he didn't smile. Stephen stood aside for me to enter the house. I watched as he waved at Patrick before closing the front door. Our eyes locked when he turned around.

“How's your head?”

“It's fine. Don't you have to work today?”

“Not until two.” He stepped towards me. “I didn't get a hello kiss.” Stephen turned his head and taped his cheek with a finger.

I blushed, but leaned up on tiptoes to press my lips against his cheek. He turned his head at the last minute which made my lips connect with his instead. An arm wrapped around my waist to press me against his body as he deepened the kiss. By the time he pulled away, I was clutching the material of his shirt tightly. He nibbled my lips before pulling back completely.