CHAPTER FIFTY

ALIA

I SMOOTHED DOWN THE dress nervously before looking up at myself in the mirror. My make-up is done lightly, my hair in a French braid.

           "We need to leave." Stephen entered the bathroom, his eyes catching mine in the mirror. "You look beautiful baby."

I smiled at him, yet I couldn't shake the nervousness. My eyes dropped to his body, he's dressed in a pair of black slacks and a white button down dress shirt. He looks extremely sexy and if we didn't have a dinner to go to, I would have enjoyed seducing him.

With one last glance I walked out of the bathroom grabbing my purse. We left the house, silently, getting into the sleek car.

         "What do you think it's about?" I asked softly looking at him.

He shrugged slowing at the stop street. "I don't know, it could be about anything."

Biting my lip I stared to stare out the window. My mind is a mess as I thought of different scenario's. Fall has given way to winter, the days cold and lonely. Stephen has been working a lot lately, with the exams on the way I've barely gotten any visits. The idea of online classes hasn't left my mind. I still need to talk to Stephen about that.

So far he has been supporting me, buying everything I needed and I kind of feel bad. Of course he's my boyfriend, but I just feel wrong living off his money.

I've actually managed to get an interview at the café two days ago. The old woman said that She'll let me know when she needs me. If I get the job I'd need to find a way to tell him.

I turned to look at him, really look at him. He ran a hand through his hair messing it up again. Both his hands are shaking and although he looks relaxed, there's a tension in his frame.

I frowned opening my mouth but snapped it close a moment later. Maybe he's just as nervous for this sudden dinner invitation, like me. The ride is silent, neither bothering to turn on the radio. Ten minutes later he parked the car at the curb outside a family restaurant. I got out fixing the dress before turning to watched Stephen. Locking the car he walked towards me linking our hands.

Together we entered instantly catching my family at a booth in the back. I led the way keeping a tight grip on his hand. My mom caught sight of us first. She stood giving me a bright smile before pulling me into a hug. As my arms wrapped around her waist, I'm once again reminded of the fact that's she loosing weight.

Pulling back I gave my dad an awkward smile then made my way to Emma for a hug. Stephen and I sat opposite my parents with Emma at the head to the left.

           "Where's Sam?" I asked softly turning my attention to them.

          "With your aunt."

I accepted the answer without anymore questions. After ordering we made light conversation. Laughing at old memories, mom made sure to tell Stephen all the embarrassing stuff I did as a kid.

The light conversation flowed throughout dinner, but it slowed as the end neared. Somehow the air around the table has changed.

           "Alia." My mom said softly drawing my attention towards her. "We have something to tell you girls."

Stephen took my hand laying on the table, he gave it a squeeze making me glance at him. He's biting his bottom lip staring down at the table. I look at Emma watching as my father slipped his hand into hers.

My parents glanced at each other then at us. I could see my mom swallow hard, her eyes slightly filling with tears. Dread slowly started to full me, my stomach turning dangerously. When I looked at my dad I'm taken a back by his cold eyes.

The last time he looked at me like that was when he kicked me out of the house. Did I do something wrong? I swallowed dropping my eyes to the table.

        "I know that this past months things has changed a lot." My mom said softly her eyes moving to Emma. "That you've been spending more time with your aunt than at home."

I frowned, what? My eyes moved to my sister also, with questioning eyes stared at her. The last time I talked to her she said everything has been great at home. That things are going like usual. Why did she lie?

          "Alia, I really need to tell you something." A tear dropped but she quickly wiped it away. "I hope that you'll be able to forgive me for lying to you all these years."

          "Mom-"

         "Let your mother speak." My dad cut in his voice icy cold.

A shiver ran down my spine. Snapping my mouth close I tightened my hand into a fist on my lap. I hate it when he talks to me like that. I'm not a child anymore, can't he see that?

          "I hope that nothing will change between us. That you won't hate me."

Now I really want to know what she's talking about. Curiosity filled me but I kept my mouth shut. My eyes trailed over my mom, her hair is tied into a messy bun. Her cheeks that was once flushed, is now deadly pale.

           "Alia." She paused eyes locking with mine. "Michael isn't your real father."

A gasp fell from my lips, the breath knocked out of me. I didn't want to believe her but as I looked at him a lot of things started to make sense. Why he's so cold, why my other sibling always seem to get more attention than me.

            "Who?" I breathed my chest rising and falling.

They glanced at each other again before looking at me.

           "It was a long time ago." My mom said making me narrow my eyes on her. "He was my boss, it was suppose to be a one night thing. It just happened and we couldn't stop it."

          "Nine months later you were born."

Shaking my head I glanced around the restaurant trying to collect my thoughts.

          "But that's not the reason we called you her tonight." He cleared his throat giving my mom a glare.

         "I have lung cancer."

_____________

So I may get reading glasses. I can't believe that!

Anyhow, how are u guys doing? I really miss you all!