CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

Meeting their cousin was a bit awkward. Sebastian was the total opposite of Nathan and Stephen. He was a happy go lucky kind of guy. 

Sebastian had blond hair and dark blue eyes. He was the same height as Stephen but his body was leaner. His girlfriend– Trina– was pretty down to earth. The moment they introduced us, I had an instant liking to her.

She was shorter than me by at least five inches. During our talk I learned that they've been together for four years now.

Trina worked as a waitress at his mother's restaurant and that's how they met. She was still finishing her Masters in accounting and didn't want to start a relationship, but he was persistent.

I admitted to how Stephen and I met, and instead of judging me like I thought she would, she thought it was funny. Kate was a bit silent. She only talked when someone asked her something directly.

Seeing the ocean for the first time in real life was something I couldn't explain. The air was fresh– different than it was in town.

I loved the sound of the waves crashing against the caramel coloured sand. I've never seen anything so beautiful.

“How about we throw some patties onto the grill?” Sebastian asked.

“Sounds good,” I smiled at him.

“We'll throw together some salads to go with it.”

Kate decided to stay on the beach so Trina and I went back to the house. After collecting everything we needed and deciding on what to make, we started.

“I’ve never seen him so relaxed,” Trina broke the silence.

I glanced up at her from where I stood on the other side of the island. “Who?”

“Stephen.” She threw the cut onions into a small bowl. “The last time I saw him– about two months ago– he was a fucking mess. The whole thing with his mother was stressing him out.”

The knife slipped on the cutting board as her words registered. He said his mother died while giving birth to him. Did he lie to me?

“His mother?” I managed to get out.

“His stepmother, Nathan's mother. She was set for parole- oh my god Alia!” Her scream made me jump in fright.

Before I could react she was by my side gripping my wrist. I allowed her to pull me towards the sink. She opened the tap and held my hand beneath the running water. The water tinted red as it disappeared down the drain. I felt lightheaded and slightly nauseas.

“It's fine,” I whispered. “It's just a little cut.”

“I'll go get the first aid kit.”

I grabbed the towel and pressed it against the cut as I stepped away from her. Muttering that I'll take care of it myself, I quickly walled out of the kitchen. When I entered my bedroom I sank down onto the bed.

What Stephen told me raced through my mind. He never mentioned his stepmother. What did she do that made her end up in prison? Trina said he was stressed so maybe he wanted to ensure she got out.