CHAPTER FORTY NINE

ALIA

BLINKING RAPIDLY I FOUGHT the urge to walk away. And a few seconds later, I'm very thankful that I didn't walk off. Stephen pushed her away making her stumble then fall. He wiped his mouth turning his back to her.

But as he turned his eyes fell on me. I saw a wave of panic flash through the green depths as they locked with mine.

"Alia."

My eyes moved to Kate catching the satisfied smile before she drooped it her face turning into one of surprised. She got up walking towards me, a shaky hand grabbed onto my arm.

"He kissed me!"

My eyes moved to Stephen. His face is pale, body tense but his eyes. They showed all the emotions that is running through him. Anger. Fear. Panic. Hate.

Out eyes locked. The words he said to me in the gym not so long ago flashed through my mind.

"I think you should leave." I turned to Kate catching her eyes.

Surprise flashed through her eyes then anger. She stepped forward lifting her hand but dropped it again tears filling her eyes.

"You'd believe someone you barely know over your best friend?"

"What friend?" I asked her softly taking a step forward. "The best friend that has been trying to break us up since we started dating? The best friend that made my family kick me out of the house? The best friend that switched my birth control? Tell me what best friend Kate?"

Her eyes widened in surprise, slight fear flashing through them. I heard Stephen's sharp intake of breath but ignored it keeping my attention on her.

"What friend does that?" My voice rose as anger flashed trough me. "What friend kisses another's boyfriend at then say that he kissed her?"

"He did!" Kate yelled. "He kissed me!"

The sound of the slap echoed around the living room. Her shocked cry followed. My hands shook nervously as I pressed them to my sides.

"I think you should leave. Please stay away from me and my family."

Kate stepped forward arm raised but Stephen stepped in front of me.

"You'll regret this."

We watched silently as she stormed out of the room slamming the front door behind her. A shaky breath fell from my lips as my shoulders sagged. But then tears filled my eyes, the feeling of complete sadness filled me.

"Alia." Stephen said softly drawing my attention to him.

He took a step closer reaching out to touch me, I recoiled from his touch. Slowly lifting my eyes they locked with his.

"I think." I swallowed. "I think you need to go wash your mouth with soap."

__________________

BY THE TIME MY tears had finally stopped the rain had gave way to bright sunshine. I got off the bed walking into the bathroom to wash my face. Walking down the stairs I found the living room and the kitchen empty.

I walked down the hall towards the gym. Pushing the door open I stepped inside, the room is empty making my heart sink. Maybe he left again?

I sigh walking back into the kitchen. Opening the fridge I stared at the contents before slamming it shut again. A sound from outside caught my attention. I slid the door open stepping out into the fresh and slightly warm air.

My eyes fell on Stephen. He stood at the side by a large tree. Around him on the floor laid things, wood and other stuff I had no clue about. He muttered something under his breath sitting down to lean back against the tree. I stepped out walking towards him, the closer I go, I saw thing I hadn't noticed before.

Like the fact that black earphones dangled from his ears. That his shirt is clinging to his chest in sweat, and also the fact that he's pale.

My steps flattered slightly. He has every reason to be mad at me, is he mad at me? I took another step forward stopping in front of him. This time he looked up eyes instantly locking with mine. Giving him a small smile I sat down next to him. I hesitated slightly before reaching out taking a bud from his ear. Placing it in mine I closed my eyes listening to the guitar melody.

"You like country music?"

He smiled pulling me onto his lap. "I grew up with it, my grandmother loves country."

Biting my lip I glanced up at him. "And you're mom?"

Stephen closed his eyes briefly. Wrapping an arm around my back he sucked in a breath. "My mom died when I was five."

"Oh." Placing the glass aside I moved closer to him. "So you lived with your dad."

Pressing his lips together, I watched as his face paled even more. His body has tensed too.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked that. It's none of my business." I moved to stand but he surprised me.

Stephen wrapped his arm around my waist pulling me onto his lap, he leaned back against the tree.

"My mom died when I was five, I stayed with my aunt until I was twelve. She died in a car accident, after that I was send to foster care. I stayed there for two years until they found my father. By then he was already married, he had his own family and he didn't want me." Trailing his lips against my cheek he leaned his head against my shoulder. "His wife convinced him to take me in. He is a bastard, my father. He treated me like shit, they all did except his wife."

His body had started shaking, his breath coming out faster as his hold on me tightened.

"Stephen, you don't have to-"

He looked up eyes locking with mine. "I want to tell you."

I nodded swallowing the lump in my throat as I saw pain flash through his eyes.

"His wife, she was extremely nice to me, helping me, buying me stuff. I though it was her way of apologizing for my father's behavior." He gave a humourless laugh. "I couldn't have been more wrong. It started when I was fourteen, she started sneaking into my room when everyone was asleep."

My heart ached as panic flashed through his eyes. Shifting in his lap I wrapped my arms around him.

"I told my father that, that she- fuck." Stephen broke off running a shaky hand down his face.

"Stephen-" My voice broke as his eyes filled with tears.

"He didn't believe me, none of them did. She kept sneaking into my room and I just wanted it to stop." Wrapping his arms around my waist again he buried his face in my neck.

We sat silently like that for a few minutes. I stroked his hair feeling my own tears streaming down my cheeks.

Pulling away he looked at me again. "Oh baby."

He wiped the tears away with his thumbs giving me a small, sad smile.

"Nathan, he saw." Leaning his forehead against mine he closed his eyes. "He set everything up and she was caught, she was locked up. God, my father was so pissed. He hates me for that, made sure I knew it. I was send to live with my grandmother when I turned sixteen."

"Is this why you don't want to have a baby?"

His eyes snapped open locking with mine. "Is not that I don't want a kid, baby. I'm afraid that I won't be a good father. I haven't really had the best father figure, I'm scared that I will turn out just like him."