CHAPTER THIRTY EIGHT

I soothed my hands down my sides as I stared at myself in the mirror. The dress was a simple red wrap around which I paired with some tights and black ankle boots. I didn’t bother with make-up.

“We need to go Alia,” Stephen called from the room.

With one last glance, I walked out of the bathroom. Stephen stood in the doorway staring down at his feet. I took the time to study him. This was the first time I’ve seen him wear a suit. He looked fucking sexy. His hair was combed back neatly. I liked it more when it was messy.

“You look beautiful baby,” Stephen said softly.

“So do you,” I smiled.

I grabbed my purse and then followed him downstairs. Muttering a bye to Nathan we exit the house. Instead of taking the truck like I thought we would, Stephen led me to a sleek silver car. I felt extremely nervous. My mother had called earlier today to invite us to dinner. She had said that it was important and that everyone would be there. We were meeting at one of the fancy restaurants in town.

“What do you think this is about?”

He shrugged as he glanced at me. “I don’t know baby. It could be about anything.”

I clutched my bag on my lap. My eyes were focused on the passing houses, but my mind was miles away. This had to be about that weekend they went away. It was the only reason I could think of. I turned to stare at Stephen. He ran a hand through his hair which messed it up. His grip on the steering wheel was almost deadly. He looked just as nervous as me. Half an hour later Stephen parked at the curb. He cut the engine but didn’t get out.

“Your aunt and uncle were also invited,” he said softly. “I know it makes you uncomfortable to be around Michael and your real father.”

“H-how?”

Stephen reached for my hand. “Remember that night you took shots?”

“Not really,” I said. “All I remember was taking the shots. After that I remember nothing.”

He pursed his lips. Stephen said nothing for a while. His thumb stroked my knuckles.

“You got sick. A few minutes after taking the shit you said you felt sick. I took you to bed,” he paused. “You said some things.”

“W-what things?”

He smirked. “You think I have a big dick.”

I groaned, covering my face with my hands. How embarrassing.

“You also told me that Michael isn’t your real father.” Stephen turned slightly to face me. “You also said that you love me.”
The colour drained from my face as I stared at him. I pulled my hand from his and quickly got out of the car. Stephen grabbed my wrist before I could storm off. He pulled me back and gently pushed me against the side of the car.

He was smiling down at me. “It freaks you out this much to hear that I know your secret?”

“You said you don’t want to involve feelings.”

“Alia, you and I both know that feelings got involved the first time we met.” He reached out to stroke my cheek. “You’re not good at lying or hiding your feelings. Your eyes always give you away.”