CHAPTER TWENTY NINE

As the days flew by I started noticing things about my body. It was changing and I haven’t even realized it. I was so focused on everything happening that I forgot to take care of myself. The first thing I noticed was the fact that my breasts had gotten bigger. If it wasn’t for Kate pointing it out I wouldn’t have realized it. That night I had stared at my naked body in the floor length mirror I had in my room. My breasts had gotten bigger and felt more sensitive. My nipples had also changed colour. As I turned to my side, my eyes dropped down the length of my body. They paused at my stomach. I’ve lost some weight, I could tell. But what was most clear was the fact that my stomach wasn’t flat. Not like it use to be. I was stopped from any further explanation when my mother had knock on the door.

After that night I barely had any time to think about it. Things at school were getting worse. Not to mention that everything at the house was rushed to get mom and Michael ready for the conference. The weekend was crawling up and before I knew it, it was Friday. I didn’t have a test to write so I stayed at home. Mom had finished packing the night before. Their bags stood next to the front door.

“Are you sure you don’t want to stay with Mike?” my mom asked softly.

I nodded. She was standing in my doorway looking nervous. They were going to leave in half an hour– as soon as the deputy showed up. I glanced up at her as she moved further into the room. Her mouth opened but she got cut off when the phone started ringing. When she didn’t return after a few minutes, I decided to go search for her. I found her in the kitchen sitting at the table with the phone pressed to her ear.
“Are you serious? We-“ she paused, listening to whoever was talking. “Mike you-“

My frown deepened when she fell silent again. Minutes passed and without another word she ended the call. With a groan she glanced up at me.

“Mike cancelled. Apparently something came up at work and he can’t look after Sam and Tyler.”

“What about aunt Genna?” I asked as I took a seat opposite her.

“She made plans that can’t be cancelled.”

“Isn’t it funny how that suddenly happened?” I muttered. “I’ll watch them.”

“I can’t expect that from you honey,” mom said, pushing herself up from the table.

“Mom, it’s only for a weekend. Emma will be staying with her friend anyway, so that only leaves Sam. I’ve watched her before.”

“Alia-“

“I can study at night when she’s asleep so it won’t be problem.”

With narrowed eyes she stared at me. I shifted slightly in the seat. It felt like she could see right through me. I fought the urge to press my hands against my stomach. She couldn’t possibly know about it. I didn’t even know myself! What if you’re pregnant? That voice in my head whispered. How will you tell her? Will you tell Stephen? What about school? Panic filled me as I thought about the way my life would change if I was pregnant. The two test boxes were still hidden in my closet. I was planning on taking them this weekend.

“Okay,” my mom said, breaking through my thoughts. “We can’t miss this conference. I’ll call Michael and inform him of the change of plans.”

I nodded. As she picked up the phone, I walked out of the kitchen. The moment I was clear of her sight I pressed my hands against my stomach. My whole life would be put on hold if the tests were positive. I shook off the disturbing thoughts as I made my way into the living room. Grabbing the remote, I took a seat on the couch. I made myself comfortable. An hour later I heard a car pull up in the driveway. A few seconds later another car parked. My mom passed the living room as she walked towards the front door.

“Mrs. Dune, it’s nice to see you again,” a familiar voice spoke up.

Goosebumps rose up over my skin. My heartbeat started to speed up when I heard the voices getting louder. My mom walked in front of them with Michael behind her and Stephen behind him. His eyes caught mine briefly as they passed. The movie was pretty interesting but I lost interest in it. I was burning with curiosity to know what they were talking about.
Twenty minutes later my mom took a seat next to me. She placed her hand on mine as she relaxed.

“Stephen will be staying with you this weekend. I’ve already talked to Emma's friend’s mom and everything has been arranged. She will pick Emma up from school. I’ve packed a bag of clothes for her so if they get here you can just give it to her.”

Silence settled between us. For a few minutes we were both focused on the television.

“Patrick said he’ll stop by to make sure everything is fine.”
“He doesn’t have to,” I said softly.

“It just to ease my mind honey,” she smiled. “There’s some money in the cookie jar for some pizza or something when you don’t feel like cooking. We trust you to look after Sam and to behave yourself. You’re not a little girl anymore Alia. If you do have sex just make sure you use condoms.”

Heat flooded my cheeks. I felt embarrassed about the topic of conversation, but also a little guilty. If only she knew that it was too late. An hour later I stood outside watching as Michael loaded the bags in the car. I hugged my mom tightly as she said goodbye. With a kiss on my cheek she walked towards the car. I watched silently as they drove away. I was feeling uncomfortable and it had nothing to do with Stephen. Maybe it was the fact that I had his baby growing in my womb, or the fact that we would be home only with my baby sister.

Stephen silently led the way back into the house. When the door closed behind me he was there. He gently pushed me back against the door with his body. Stephen smiled down at me.

“Well hello there.  Haven’t seen you for a while,” he muttered.
His smile was infectious. I couldn’t help but smile back at him. Wrapping my arms around his waist, I pressed my face against his chest.

“I didn’t think he would let you stay here with me.”

“He may be hard on you but he does care,” he muttered against my hair. I glanced up at him in question. “Most of the guys are out in the field or in undercover. The only ones that could have stayed here with you aren’t fit for it.”

“What do you mean by that?”

“They got caught staring at half naked photos of you Alia. How do you think they would react staying with you?” I winced. I’ve forgotten about the photos posted on Facebook a few months ago. Lately I’ve been forgetting a lot of things.

“Michael said I’ll be staying in your brother’s room,” he kissed my nose, “but I was hoping we could change that arrangement.”

I giggled as he wiggled his eyebrows at me. This was a different side of him that I absolutely loved to see. “I’m sure it could be arranged.”

He chuckled then leaned down to capture my lips. I moaned. My body instantly reacted to him. I clung to him as he gripped my thighs and hoisted me up against him. With my legs wrapped around his hips, he started walking towards my bedroom. My back hit the mattress and that’s when sanity returned. I broke the kiss. His lips started trailing down my neck. It got harder and harder to think as he nibbled my skin.
A cry suddenly echoed around the silent house. I’ve never been so grateful to hear Sam crying. I pushed at his chest until he rolled off me. Without a backward glance I walked out of the room. I had to stay clear of him. I couldn’t allow him to seduce me. If we ended up having sex he would definitely notice the changes in my body.