CHAPTER FORTY SEVEN

The flight was two hours long. By the time I reached home and then the hospital, I was a mess. Mike was the first person I saw. He led me straight to the waiting room. Patrick was pacing while Tyler held a sleeping Emma.

“How are they?”

“Michael is in surgery and Sam is fine. Her car seat protected her from the worst.”

“Where is she?”

“They want to keep her overnight to make sure she’s okay. The nurse will come get us when she’s comfortable.”

My eyes dropped to his hands fisted at his side. He wanted to say something but he kept silent. After a few minutes he gave me a stiff smile before turning away. I sighed. Patrick was never one to stop himself from speaking his mind. Times passed slowly as we waited for news on Michael. The nurse had come to let us know that Sam was comfortable and fast asleep. I stayed with her for a few minutes before heading back to the waiting room. Through the years Michael and I had mended things.

Although some things between us were still a little awkward. Michael was my father in every sense of the word even though he never treated me like his other daughters. Mike was and would always stay my uncle. We agreed to never cross that line. It was the best for all of us.

At half past eleven the doctor came out to see us. It felt like my world was going to crumble around me as I waited. I already lost too many things in my life, losing Michael… I didn’t even want to think about it.

“The surgery went well,” the doctor said. “We were able to stop the internal bleeding which wasn’t as bad as we first thought. His arm is broken at two places which will take a few months to heal completely. All in all, he is okay.”

“Can I see him?”

“He’s still heavily sedated. I suggest you all go home and get some rest. You can see him in the morning.” He turned to Patrick. “Sam will also be discharged tomorrow morning.”

He left leaving all of us in silence. I turned towards Patrick. He ran a hand through his hair and then took my arm. I stayed silent as he led me from the room. We walked until we reached a side exit.

“Are you going to tell me what’s bothering you?”

“I wanted to talk to you before you left but I couldn’t. Michael refused to give me a contact number for you,” he said. “There’s some things I need to tell you. I know Michael won’t.”
“Hit me with it,” I muttered as I leaned against the wall.

“I know that you and he mended things and I don’t want to ruin it, but what he did was wrong.” “Spit it out Patrick.” He sucked in a breath and slowly blew it out. “Michael forced Stephen to stay away from you after you got rescued. He stopped by the hospital everyday but they wouldn’t allow him in. Later I learned that Michael had forbid him from seeing you. He blamed Stephen for what happened to you. Stephen was a fucking mess Alia, and the fact that your parents were blaming him just made it worse.” Patrick shook his head and then started pacing. “He was forced off the case. He wasn’t allowed to help or follow up on leads. Even after someone kept asking for him. Michael refused.”

“I don’t-“

“If Michael wasn’t so fucking pissed and hard-headed we would’ve found you earlier. A man said he knew where you were but he only wanted to speak to Stephen. He refused to talk to anyone else. We had no leads until that man showed up,” he sucked in a breath. “I went to see Stephen and he was a fucking mess. Drunk out of his mind.” Patrick stepped towards me.