CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

Nathan, Kate and Derick was already at the beach house when we arrived. The car was parked in front of the house with the boot and the back door standing open. My mind was still focused on what happened hours ago. I couldn't concentrate on the house or the surroundings.

All I wanted to do was get away from him. The moment he parked the truck, I pushed the door open and stumbled up the steps and into the house. For a moment I was shocked by the open floor plan, but the shock broke when Stephen called out behind me.

I made a beeline for the stairs and took it two at a time.
The second floor contained six doors. One of them stood open and from inside I could hear Kate's voice. I turned left and entered the first door. It looked like the master bedroom.

Pressing my back against the door, I allowed the sob to escape. More followed and soon after I found myself on the floor with my knees against my chest.

“Alia?”

I pressed my mouth against my arm and squeezed my eyes shut.

“Baby please open up for me,” Stephen begged from the other side of the door. “Alia?”

Sniffing, I wiped the tears from my cheeks and the stumbled to my feet. I hesitated with my hand on the doorknob. He has a good explanation, the voice in the back of my head whispered. Stephen would never do that to you otherwise.

With a shaky breath, I pulled the door open and then turned away. Stephen closed the door silently behind him once he entered. For a few minutes there was only silence until he broke it.

“I'm sorry Alia.”

When I reached the bed my legs gave way beneath me. Another sob escaped before I could stop it. A second later I felt his arms around me. Stephen pulled me onto his lap and pressed my tightly against his chest.

His face was buried against my neck as he rocked us back and forth. As my tears dried I realized two things; my neck was damp and Stephen was crying. I pulled away from him and cupped his cheeks so I could look at him. His eyes were red rimmed and his cheeks damp.

“Alia,” he breathed, squeezing his eyes shut. “I’m s-so f-fucking sorry. W-what I did– no words could e-explain how sorry I am.”

“What happened?” I whispered. “We were talking and then you suddenly-” I broke off.

He swallowed, and pressed his forehead against mine. “My mother died while giving birth to me so my grandparents took me in. When they died I was sent to foster care. What you said about tying me up it triggered some memories.” He sucked in a breath. “I was trying..then you were there and… I'm so fucking sorry Alia.”

Now it was my turn to comfort him as he started crying again. I straddled his lap and wrapped my arms around his neck. The conversation we had floated through my mind. I had asked him if I could tie him up and that's what caused him to withdraw from me.

“Shh,” I whispered, stroking his hair. “It's okay.”

Stephen pulled back to look at me. “I'll do anything you want me to do to make it up to you baby. Just tell me what I have to do.”

“Is this why you don't want it to go further?” I asked instead of answering him.

He reached up to stroke my cheek with shaking fingers. “I'm pretty sure things has already moved past our arrangement.”