baby fever

Nini glances over at her husband as they drive to their best friends house. Ricky is tapping his fingers on the steering wheel as he sings along to the radio. a colorful gift bag sits on the floor at her feet, full of gifts for their friends.

only a week or so prior, the couples best friends Ashlyn and Red welcomed their first child-a boy named Henry Reddonovich. Nini was super excited to meet the baby. the red headed couple were the first of their friend group to have a baby. EJ and Gina were busy traveling while Seb and Carlos were working in NYC and Kourtney and her boyfriend Howie were content in their long term relationship.

she couldn't lie and say she hadn't been thinking about starting a family with her husband. Ricky and Nini had been married for a couple years, the first marriage to come out of their friend group. they were deciding to wait to start a family until they were fully ready to be parents.

they pull up in front of the house, getting out of the car. Nini holds the gift bag as Ricky guides her to the front door. they knock and Red excitingly answers.

"hey guys! come on in!"

the couple enters the house. the living space is full of gifts and boxes of unopened baby supplies. Nini hands the gift bag to Red, "congratulations dad!"

the redhead smiles wide and hugs the brunette, "thank you so much! Ash is in the living room with Henry."

Nini and Ricky carefully walk into the room, trying not to disturb the baby. Ashlyn is resting on the couch, the tiny baby resting up against her shoulder.

"Ash!" Nini squeals quietly, "oh he's so cute!"

"do you wanna hold him?"

she nods at the red headed woman, sitting down next to her on the couch, holding her arms out for the child. Ashlyn passes over the baby bundled up in a blanket to the brunette. Nini softens as the baby coos in her arms.

she glances up at her husband, "Ricky, come here."

the curly haired man stands over his wife's shoulder, smiling down at the baby with the patch of red hair, "hey there little dude."

Ricky and Red disappear for a little bit while Ashlyn and Nini sit and discuss the new bundle of joy in the brunettes arms.

"so," Ashlyn starts, moving to face the woman next to her on the couch, "when are you and Ricky gonna have one?"

Nini rolls her eyes playfully, running her finger gently over the sleeping baby's face, "i have no idea what you're talking about."

the younger redhead nudges the other girl in the shoulder, "oh come on, you can't seriously say you don't want one?"

"no i do, we've just decided to wait another year or two to have kids." she responds, smiling down at the snoring child.

"alright, whatever you say."

the girls continue to chat in the living room while Red shows Ricky his new man-cave in the basement. the curly haired man observes all of his friends skateboards hung up on the wall as they talk.

"are you and Nini gonna have a baby anytime soon?" Red asks, leaning against the wall.

Ricky sighs, taking a seat on the edge of the leather couch, "we talked about it but we decided to wait. we wanna be a little more stable before we bring kids into the picture."

the redhead scoffs a little, "you and Nini have been married for how long?"

the curly haired young man rolls his eyes a little, "our fifth wedding anniversary is in two weeks."

"exactly! plus you both are teachers so you have stable incomes, you have a nice house, all that's missing are kids! you guys are ready!"

"i don't know Red, we'll talk about it but don't expect anything. now come on, i wanna see my nephew." Ricky says, heading for the stairs.

everybody reconvenes in the living room. Nini passes the red headed baby to her husband, watching it him take a seat on the recliner across the room.

Ricky rocks the baby gently as the other three adults talk. the baby coos a little as he rocks him slowly, smiling down at the bundle. Nini glances over at her husband, seeing him talking quietly to the baby as he rocks back and forth in the chair.

Red and Ashlyn continue to talk around her but she can't help but ignore them, watching her husband. she finds herself touching her stomach subconsciously, feeling something shift in her heart as she looked at him.

throughout the afternoon, Nini can't stop watching her husband with their friends baby. he makes funny faces at the child, making noises and taking sweetly, telling the boy stories as he sleeps soundly in his arms.

they eventually say their goodbyes and head home, Nini keeping her hand on her husbands thigh as he drives. Ricky notices how quiet his wife is as they finally get home.

"Neens, what's up? you've been quiet most of the afternoon." he asks, leaning against the kitchen counter.

she stands across the room, looking in the pantry for something for dinner, "i don't know what you're talking about."

he comes to stand next to her, grabbing ahold of her hands gently, "what's on your mind babe?"

Nini glances at him before sighing, "would you...do you think...should we have a baby?"

Ricky cups her cheeks gently, forcing her to look at him, "do you wanna have a baby or is this because of Red and Ash?"

she shrugs a little, "i don't know, i know we said that we were going to wait a couple more years to start a family but something about seeing you hold their baby made me rethink everything."

he chuckles a little as he moves to wrap his arms around her waist, holding her in his arms, "you have baby fever, don't you?"

"a little bit. i just started thinking about us having a cute little baby with your curly hair and my nose and it made me excited to have a baby."

"so let's do it."

Nini snaps to look at him, "wait, seriously?"

he nods, "yeah, let's do it. let's make an adorable mixed baby."

she giggles at his wording, smacking his chest gently, "shut up. you seriously want to do this?"

Ricky tugs her tighter against him, "Nini, i want nothing more than to have a baby with you."

she smiles brightly, "let's have a baby." she leans up to kiss him gently.

"let's have a baby."