elope

Nini was tired. tired of planning for her wedding that was still almost a year away, tired of dealing with venue managers and caterers, tired of arguing with her wedding party, she was just tired of it all.

she was scrolling through her facebook on the couch, Ricky off somewhere in the small house doing god knows what. she stumbled upon a post from a friend from college, an idea springing to her mind.

she stood up quickly from the couch, moving down the hallway to find her fiancé. she finally found him in his office, sitting at his desk. she knocked on the door and walked in, sitting in the chair next to his small desk.

"what's up babe?" he asked, his concentration never breaking from his computer.

"so you remember Anne from college right?" Nini waited for Ricky to nod in response before continuing, "so she and Mark got married this past weekend."

Ricky snorted, "and we weren't invited? assholes."

Nini shook her head at his comment about their friends, "no, they eloped Ricky. in Vegas."

Ricky nodded, "ah, good for them. i wish it was that easy."

Nini bit her lip, "what if it was?"

Ricky broke away from his computer, turning in his chair to look at her, "i don't know what you mean."

Nini hesitated a moment, "what if we went to Vegas and got married? like tonight."

he almost choked at her words, "Neens, our wedding is in like 10 months. we already have everything set to go. we can't just ditch that and get married."

her eyes softened, "please Ricky! we just want to be married and i'm tired of having to plan this wedding, it's so exhausting! we don't have to tell anybody and we'll still have the wedding next year, i just wanna marry you."

Ricky was silent for a moment. it was a lot to think about. they had a huge wedding happening in less than a year, with both their families and friends coming in for it. it was stressful for both of them, there was so much happening at every moment, it was hard to think beyond wedding planning sometimes.

"it's a six hour drive to Vegas, if we leave now we'll make it before midnight." Ricky stated as he looked at his fiancé.

Nini's face developed into a large smile as she leaped from her chair into Ricky's lap. her arms wrapped around his neck as she kissed his cheek, "oh my god Ricky! let's go get married!"

Ricky playfully patted her butt as he moved for them to get up. Nini made her way excitedly into their bedroom to pull out her suitcase, rifling through her closet to grab some clothes for their weekend. she packed her favorite white summer dress to wear when they got married and zipped up her suitcase.

just as she was packing things into her large tote bag, Ricky came in the room staring at his phone, "we could fly and get there in an hour. we could stay longer if we do that."

Nini nodded in response as Ricky purchased their plane tickets. he packed a bag as well and they were getting into his car, driving to the airport to catch their flight.

Nini fiddled with her engagement ring as they waited at the gate, "are we really doing this?"

Ricky lifted his head from his book, "getting cold feet there SalRobs?"

Nini chuckled at the nickname, "no, not cold feet. just amazement that i'm about to marry my best friend," she grabbed his hand, intertwining their fingers as her thumb rubbed over the back of his hand, "and in a few hours, it'll be Bowen there mister."