summertime sadness

cw: smut

Nini pulls her hair up into a high ponytail as she gets out of her car, closing the door and grabbing her small purse as she makes her way to the gate to the backyard.

she can hear splashing and laughter, music playing from the sound system connected to Carlos's house, the group of theatre kids already in party mode.

"Neeners!" Kourtney yells as she runs across the patio to hug her friend, a white claw in her hand.

the brunette hugs her best friend tightly, not having seen her for three weeks, "hi Kourt!"

"how was LA?! was it amazing?!"

"it was a dream, we wrote some new music and i recorded some of my stuff, it was so cool."

Nini had been away in LA for the last three weeks after school let out, working with Jamie Porter on trying to get some of music out there professionally. it was amazing but the whole time she was away, she couldn't stop thinking of somebody back home.

the two girls walk to the cooler as they talk, the petite brunette grabbing a Truly and popping it open, setting her bag down as she leaned against the deck of the house.

her attention moves to the sliding glass doors of the house when she hears a familiar laugh. her heart fills and a wide smile forms on her face as she steps out from against the deck to face the boy she's been thinking about.

only, he's not alone.

he steps out onto the deck, hand in hand with Lily, her blonde hair up in a bun, dressed in a skimpy bikini.

"Nini? you're back?"

she feels her throat go dry as she's face to face with him, "y-yeah, i uh, i got back yesterday."

he smiles that charming side grin of his, "well, we have to catch up later."

she watches him walk off with the younger girl in tow and feels her heart drop into her stomach. Nini looks down at the hem of her ruffled pink and white sundress, her vision blurring as tears fill her brown eyes.

"Neens, you okay?" Kourtney asks, a hand on the girls shoulder.

Nini shakes off her friends hand, chugs her drink before grabbing another, "no but what else do you expect when my ex shows up at a party with a younger girl on his arm."

"i guess he didn't tell you. Ricky's been hanging out with Lily the last few weeks since you left." Kourtney grimaces as she tells her friend.

"obviously. i thought when i left that we were on the same page. we're not together but i thought that maybe we'd work on it."

Nini wanders off before her best friend can answer, heading over to talk to EJ and Gina, who're sharing a lounge chair.

it's a while before she gets a chance to be alone with Ricky. everybody else is over by the grill, watching EJ try not to burn the food.

she's leaned up against the cinderblock half wall by the pool, nursing her third drink. she was only feeling slightly buzzed but has enough courage to talk to the curly haired boy walking towards her.

"so, you're back." he says, leaning next to her.

"yeah." she takes in what he's wearing, orange swim trunks and a grey t-shirt that's fitted nicely, letting her see the outline of his abdomen.

they're quiet for a few minutes as she sips from her can. Ricky hums to the song playing over the speaker.

"how was LA?"
"why's Lily here?"