announcements

Nini couldn't believe her eyes. she placed her hand over her mouth as she stared at the stick on the bathroom counter. two very distinct pink lines in the tray. pregnant. tears sprung to her eyes as she picked up the stick. she placed her hand on her flat belly and looked at the dog sitting at her feet.

"i'm gonna have a baby Rosie! you're gonna have a human brother or sister!"

they weren't necessarily trying to have a baby but they weren't trying not to have one either. they had been friends since they were five, dating since they were 15, and had gotten married after college at 27. they knew what they wanted and that was each other. they had talked about having a baby in the year they had been married but they just agreed that if it was going to happen, then it was meant to be.

Nini had been feeling sick the last four days. she hadn't been to work at all cause she felt so bad. both Nini and Ricky were teachers at East High, Ricky teaching music and Nini teaching theatre. she had been doing the mental math when she walked into the bathroom after Ricky went to work. she noticed a stray tampon sitting on the counter and realized that she hadn't had her period this month, she was three weeks late. she reached into the cabinet under the sink and dug around for the pink box that Kourtney had bought her a while back. this wasn't her first rodeo. the two had a pregnancy scare in senior year of high school, sophomore year of college, and right after they got engaged. Kourtney bought Nini the box of tests as a joke considering how many times the couple had these scares.

she couldn't believe this one was actually positive. she was ecstatic, she and Ricky were going to have a baby! she was having a baby with the man she loved with all her heart. Nini squealed as she walked out of the en suite and into her bedroom. she couldn't stop thinking about how she was going to tell her husband. she glanced at the alarm clock on the nightstand and noticed the time. she smiled, knowing he'd be home soon.

she walked to the living room, stopping to look at the pictures of them that lined the hallway. the two had recently invested in a house that was about twenty minutes from the school. it was perfect, it was everything they wanted. Nini insisted of decorating the house with pictures of them and their loved ones her favorite one was of them on their wedding day, it was the two of them holding each other, smiles on their faces as their foreheads were touching. she smiled, too caught up in her own thoughts that she didn't even hear the door open.

"hey baby, i'm home!" Ricky yelled out as he dropped his messenger bag by the door, setting his keys in the bowl on the entryway table.

Nini ran down the hallway, Ricky barely having enough time to catch his wife as she jumped into his arms.

he laughed as he tightened his arms around her, "what's got you so excited?"

Nini hopped down, placing her feet back on the floor. "come on, i'll show you!"

she grabbed his hand as she practically ran to their bedroom. she slowed down when they got there, grabbing ahold of his hands and just looking at him for a moment. she took a breath before she led him into the bathroom, nodding her head towards the stick.

it took him a moment to understand what it meant, staring at the pink stick. he finally released and quickly turned back to his wife, mouth wide open in shock.

"are you serious?" he asked, eyes wide with wonder.

Nini nodded, tears filling her eyes. Ricky pulled Nini into a tight hug, tears in his eyes as well. "we're gonna have a baby." he whispered. Nini was so excited he was happy. she had never been this happy in her life.

they had discussed specifics over dinner, like when they were gonna tell their friends and families, when she was going to tell the school board, how long she would take off after the baby was born, amongst other things.