mama he's a good boy

the Salazar-Roberts: the picture perfect family. they were the epitome of a hard working family. Carol Roberts and Dana Salazar: a nurse and a doctor, two hard working women. adopted their daughter at only two days old. Nina was the perfect little daughter. they had worked hard and had a beautiful home and family.

Nina "Nini" Salazar-Roberts was different though. she didn't want to be in the medical field, she wanted to be a songwriter and make her own music. she wasn't sure if she wanted to go to college, she wanted to move to LA and pursue her dreams. all dreams that she had yet to share with her moms.

she had another big secret that she also had yet to share with her moms. she'd been seeing someone for over three months.

it shouldn't be such a big deal, especially since she was seventeen but her moms didn't even know that their daughter had any interest in dating.

Nini walks through the hallway, ducking into the auditorium. she takes a seat in the last row of the plush red seats, digging her phone out of her jeans pocket. she stares down at her text messages before hearing a bag drop next to her. she gasps and looks up at the figure next to her.

"sorry darling. didn't mean to scare you." he chuckles, climbing over her to sit in the seat next to her.

"you didn't scare me." she huffs.

Ricky chuckles, "sure, let's go with that."

Ricky Bowen. the mystery man.

he was the last person that you'd think Nini would ever be caught dead with. he was the total opposite of her, or at least that's what everyone thinks. when you look at him you see the leather jacket, wild curly hair, even a tattoo on his arm (which may or may not have a fancy N in it just for her). he seemed like the complete opposite of somebody she'd date but the first time she locked eyes with him, it was love at first sight.

he was so much more than people expected of him. below his hard exterior lies a cuddly teenage boy who just wants to be loved. he loved to whisper sweet nothings into her ear, hold her hand, take her on long drives and picnic dates, he was nothing but respectful to her, they didn't even kiss until their fourth date because he didn't want to cross the line. they were utterly and completely in love with each other.

he reaches for her hand, squeezing it gently as his girlfriend turns in her seat to face him, "hey."

"hi."

she leans over and presses a sweet kiss to his lips, smiling when she pulls away, "i wanna talk to you about something."

Ricky furrows his brows, a little worried, "what's wrong?"

"nothing...i just, i...i think i want you to meet my moms." Nini says, bright eyed with a small smile.

he's silent for a second, "really? you're ready to tell them about us?"

the brunette nods, grabbing his other hand, "i don't want to hide you from them anymore."

he smiles softly, nodding, "okay. i can't wait."

***

"hey, mama? can i talk to you for a second?"

Carol hums a little in response as she sits at the kitchen table going through the bills. Dana was at work, giving Nini the perfect opportunity to talk to her more approachable mother alone with no interruptions.

Nini sits across from her mom at the table and takes a deep breath, the blonde woman noticing her daughters hesitation, "sweetie, what's bother you?"

"i um, it's just...mama i've been seeing someone."

the teenage girl bites her lip as she waits for a reaction from her mother. Carol sets down the papers in her hands and takes a deep breath, "how long have you been seeing this person?"