back to school

the pink morning sky shined through their open window of their bedroom, letting in the cool Salt Lake air. Nini hummed and curled tighter into her husbands chest, Ricky wrapping his arm around her and rested his chin on top of her head. they sighed contently in each other's arms, their eyes still closed.

Ricky's alarm clock went off, signaling to the couple that it was time to get up. after all, it was august 25th, the first day of school. Ricky groaned and rolled slightly to shut off the alarm, Nini burying herself further into his body.

"i don't wanna get up." she pouted, her voice muffled by his tee shirt covered chest.

Ricky chuckled and wrapped his arms around her, his hand burying itself into her long brown hair, "me either babe but we've got jobs to be at and kids to teach."

Nini pouted even more when her husband rolled out of bed, leaving her to fall into their pillows. she slowly got up and made her way into their bathroom, starting the shower to warm up the water as Ricky made coffee in the kitchen.

they worked to get ready with a soft playlist playing throughout the house, Nini doing her makeup as Ricky showered, the man singing along to the playlist as Nini prayed she wouldn't mess up her makeup by laughing.

they moved around each other to get dressed, Nini pulling on her favorite navy blue floral dress and matching cardigan, her brown riding boots to match. Ricky made sure to ask his wife if his navy pants matched his light blue button down before pulling them on, Nini placing his brown dress shoes at the edge of the bed for him to put on.

she stood in front of their vanity, clipping some hair back as she made herself presentable for the day. she dug out her gold diamond necklace, the one that matched her timeless diamond engagement ring and wedding back, clasping it around her neck before deciding she was ready for the day.

she grabbed her tote bag from beside their bedroom door and made her way to the kitchen. her travel mug, a white tall metal mug with the Philippine flag on it, was sitting on the counter already filled with hot coffee. Ricky comes into the kitchen behind her, leaning down to press a kiss to the top of her head.

"thank you." she mutters quietly as he slips behind her to grab his own mug.

he scoops some food into the bowl for their sleeping dog and pours him some water. Nini grabs her phone off the charger in the kitchen as Ricky gets his keys from the hook next to the door, pulling open the front door and nodding to his wife, "you ready?"

she grabbed her bags and headed to the door, "yeah, let's go."

their ride to East High was only about 25 minutes. the radio played softly throughout Ricky's Subaru, the couples hands interlaced on Nini's lap as they talked about what they needed to get done that day.

Ricky pulled into the staff parking lot, putting the car in park and sighing a little as he sat back in his seat, "another year of being underpaid to teach bratty teenagers band."

Nini chuckled softly and ran her fingers through his curls, massaging the back of his head softly, "we can do it baby, we'll get through it together."

the couple exited the car, grabbed their belongings, and walked into the building hand in hand. a few groups of students were milling around the school, having arrived early for the first day. they stopped at the office first to pick up their mail and greet the principal, then they started their walk to their classrooms, their hands clasped together.

they came to a stop in front of the bomb shelter, Nini turning to unlock the door, "okay, this is it. i'll see you at lunch?"

Ricky nodded, his thumb brushing over the hand that was still clasped in his, "yes, i'll meet you in your office. have a great first day." he leaned in to give her a quick but soft kiss on the lips.