the better man

Nini called out from the kitchen to her daughter in her room, "Emma is your bag packed to go to your dads?! he's going to be here any minute!"

she heard a call back from her daughter and returned to packing away the leftovers from her daughters lunchbox. she heard her front door open and strained to look into the living room. her body relaxed slightly when she saw her curly haired boyfriend walking into her home.

he came up to her, pulling her into him and kissing the top of her head before moving to lean against the counter, "hey baby, how are you?"

Nini huffed as she put the ice pack in the freezer, "angry, Danny was supposed to be here at 4 to pick Em up but yet again, he's late."

it was almost 5pm and Nini's ex husband was nowhere to be seen. Danny and she had been a mess their entire relationship. she met him her freshman year of college when she was still with Ricky, it wasn't until the high school couple broke up that Nini and Danny got together. they dated on and off through college before getting married on a whim the summer after graduation. next thing she knew, Nini was pregnant and they had a baby girl to take care of. when Emma was 3 and a half, Nini found out that Danny had been having an affair with his secretary at work. she filed for divorce shortly after. they were always passing ships, never really agreeing on anything especially when it came to raising their daughter.

Ricky rubbed her back lightly, "i'm sorry. i'm sure he'll be here soon, we can have a relaxing night in as soon as he comes to get her."

Nini smiled lightly when she saw her daughter come running out of her bedroom, "hi Ricky!"

she watched the smile light of Ricky's face, "Emmy! how is my favorite girl doing?!" he said excitedly as he picked the 6 year old up into his arms.

there was nothing she loved more than watching her boyfriend with her daughter. Ricky had always been present in Emma's life but it wasn't until Nini and Danny got divorced that he became more. they had tried to keep it a secret for a little while but Nini couldn't lie to her little girl. Emma and Ricky had a special bond like no other. even Danny couldn't compare to Ricky.

Nini's phone rang and she tore her eyes away from her two favorite people, "hello?...wait, what?... Danny, you can't be serious right now!...she's here waiting for you to come and get her!...you can't keep doing this Daniel, she's your daughter too!...you're a jackass, i hope you know that. screw you." she slammed the phone down on the counter as her fingers pinched the bridge of her nose.

Ricky sensed her stress and set Emma down on the ground, sending her to go play. as soon as she ran down the hall, Ricky leaned across the counter to pull her hands away from her face, "Nini, what's going on?"

Nini sighed dramatically, "Danny just called to tell me that he's not coming to pick his daughter up. this is the third week in a row that he's bailed on her! that's not okay!"

Ricky smiled sadly and pulled her into his arms, Nini relaxing against his chest, "i'm sorry honey. i know he stresses you out. it'll be okay, Emmy can just stay in with us tonight. i'll order us a pizza and she can pick the movie, it'll be better than being with her dad. how's that sound?"

Nini nodded against his chest. he pulled away and kissed her lightly, his hands rubbing her arms. Nini sighed again, "i have to tell her."

Ricky followed her down the hallway to the little girls room, leaning against the door as Nini talked to her daughter.

"honey, i have something to tell you."

Emma looked up at her mother knowingly, "he's not coming is he?"

Nini smiled sadly, "no honey, he's not."

Emma nodded and looked down at her lap. Ricky sensed the little girls sadness and entered the room, squatting down on his knees to reach her eye level, "hey Emmy, how about we get some pizza and you pick a movie for mom and i to watch with you? that sound good?"