loss

tw: miscarriage

Nini sits on the table in the doctors office, tears streaming down her face. the doctor in front of her was speaking but she couldn't listen to anything the woman was saying. Ricky was seated next to her, his hand on her thigh, rubbing his thumb against her jeans.

it wasn't supposed to be like this, it wasn't supposed to end like this. it was supposed to be the beginning of their lives but instead, it felt like their lives were crashing down around them.

the back of her hand wipes away the tears from her cheeks. Ricky says something to the doctor but Nini is completely zoned out on the conversation, instead reminiscing on how the past few wonderful months have been.

they weren't expecting it. it wasn't even like they were trying. sure, they had been married for almost a year and they had talked about it but they weren't actively trying.

Nini silently prays as she sits on the floor of their bathroom, her back against the door of the shower, holding the stick in her hands in her lap.

"please god, whatever it says, let me be happy about it. please."

she opens her palm and looks down at the stick, immediately bursting into tears, holding the stick up to her chest, "thank you, thank you." she says out into the room as she cries.

when Ricky comes home from work, he stares at his wife suspiciously as she's standing in the center of their living room, "everything alright babe?"

her face forms a wide smile as she pulls the stick out of her back pocket, "everything is just fine."

he drops his messenger bag and his water bottle to the floor as his jaw drops, "no fucking way. Nini...are you serious? you're not messing with me?"

she begins to cry as she shakes her head. Ricky crosses the room and pulls her into his arms, kissing her several times before pulling away to hold her face in his hands, "we're gonna have a baby."

"we're gonna have a baby." Nini repeats, joyfully.

she groans in pain as the doctor gives her the medication in shot form. she's leaving on her side, tears falling out of her eyes, dripping across her face. Ricky stands at the edge of the bed, his hand on her ankle, crying his own tears as his sweet wife sobs.

"okay, all done." the doctor says as she withdrawals the needle, stepping away from the table.

Nini stays still, not knowing what to do next. Ricky rubs her leg a little before turning to the doctor, "what do we do now? what do we expect?"

the doctor takes a seat on the stool across the room, "well, the process should start soon. you'll bleed heavily for a few days, expect some really heavy cramps. you'll start to pass the remains in a few days and then it's all over."

Ricky nods, glancing towards Nini who is still laying completely still. she was just in shock over everything.

the doctor is quiet for a few minutes before speaking again, "i'm really sorry Nini. i can't imagine what you're feeling right now."

the car ride home is dead silent as they drive. Nini cries softly as she stares out the window.

music plays softly throughout the car as they drive to the doctors office. Nini chuckles as Ricky places his hand on her flat belly, her hand landing on top of his.

Ricky grabs a hold of her hand and brings it to his lips, kissing the back of her hand softly, "i can't wait to see them."

"you're going to be the best dad." she says sweetly as she looks over at him.