you're my home

a/n: i know it's literally almost summer but this idea was too cute not to write and post!! so here's a christmas (in may) one shot for ya!!

the falling snow blanketed Salt Lake, making the city look magical as the days grew closer to Christmas.

inside the newest purchased home on Maple Street, Nini Bowen is dragging boxes of decorations and ornaments into the living room.

"hey babe? can i get a little help please?" she calls out as she stares up at the final box in the closet, one that happened to be up on a high shelf.

Ricky, his hair perfectly messy, rounds the corner into the hallway, reaching up and grabbing the box to take into the living room. when he sets it down with the others, his wife smiles as she surveys the room.

he leans down and presses a quick kiss (or several) to her lips, grinning, "you're excited to decorate."

"well yeah! it's our first time celebrating Christmas back in Salt Lake, our first one as a married couple, and the first one in our new home. there's so many things to celebrate this year." the young woman grins widely as her husband chuckles.

Ricky and Nini had only been married about six months, this was their first Christmas together since getting married. after they graduated college and tied the knot, they moved out of their cramped shoebox apartment in NYC and back home to Salt Lake to settle down. they had just purchased their first home together and moved in about a month prior so they were excited to really spend their first big holiday together in their new house.

the brunette girl pulls the lids off of the storage boxes, digging through the mess of red and green decorations and looking at ornaments as her husband made sure there were no bald spots on the (fake) tree.

"alright, do we wanna decorate the tree first or the living room?" she asks, her hands on her hips.

he can't help but chuckle as he looks at her. she was dressed in her favorite Christmas sweater, Rudolph and Clarice with hearts surrounding them. he though she looked utterly adorable.

"let's start with the tree." he says quietly before turning to plug in the pre attached lights, letting the colors light up. Nini smiles and begins reaching into the box. they hum along to the holiday record playing in the background as they decorate, showing off ornaments to each other as they put them on the tree.

Nini gasps as she pulls one out of the box, "babe, look!"

he finds his way next to her, wrapping his arm around her waist as she holds up the ornament that had their childhood picture in it. he chuckles and kisses her cheek, "crazy to think those two kids married each other."

she smiles up at him, her cheeks turning a bright pink color, "but i'm so happy they did."

she leans up on her toes to kiss her husband several times, melting at the way they fit perfectly together. they always did.

they continue to put the ornaments on the tree, stopping to reminisce every once and a while. finally, they step back and take a look at the finished product.

"how does it look?" Nini asks nervously.

"it's missing one thing." Ricky says before he reaches into the box, pulling out a glittery red star and holding it towards his wife, "you wanna put it on?"

she shakes her head, placing her hand on top of his that held the star, "let's do it together."

they both reach up, Ricky pulling Nini up a little bit so she could help put it on the tree. when it's in its place, they step back and take a look.