birthday boy (j•o)

Josh shivered as he got out of his car. the parking lot of East High was empty but that was to be assumed since they were taking a week off for the holiday. still, Tim texted him that morning and told him that he needed to come into the office to grab a revised script before the afternoon.

so far, the morning had been weird. he woke up to an empty apartment, which was totally strange considering his girlfriend Olivia had been right next to him when he fell asleep the night before, nobody from the cast had texted him happy birthday, and only his parents and sisters had sent some messages.

he pulled open the door to the office right next to the school, smiling at the lady at the front security desk before walking down the hallway to Tim's office. when he approached the door, there was a note taped to it saying that the script was in his dressing room. sighing, he headed towards the dressing rooms, praying to get out of there as quickly as possible.

as he rounded the corner to the row of rooms, he jumps back in shock.

"SURPRISE!"

he scans the room and sees all of his cast mates as well as Tim, his parents, and a few of his sisters. though, the only face that mattered had the biggest smile on it.

she slipped through the crowd of people and wrapped her arms around his neck as he wrapped his arms around her waist, "happy birthday baby! i'm sorry i left early this morning, i didn't want to spoil anything for you." she says in his ear, kissing his cheek when they pull away.

Josh smiled as he hugged all his friends and coworkers, Olivia just slightly behind him. Tim made a joke about there being no script and handing him a gift. they brought out a cake and everybody celebrated for a little while before starting to leave.

Olivia was hanging off to the side while he talked to his family. she picked at her nails, trying to decide if she should just leave. that's when he came up to her, kissing her gently.

"hey, my family wants to have dinner tonight. i want you to come." he says quietly.

"really?" Liv asks, looking up at him with big brown eyes.

he nods, "absolutely."

she smiles and nods, "i'll be there."

Josh grins, "i'll pick you up at 7."

~~~

Olivia looks at herself in the mirror, smoothening her hands over her her blue dress. her hair was curled perfectly, her makeup naturally beautiful, she looked stunning.

she fluffed her hair a little, squinting at herself in the mirror. was this dress too tight? was her hair too styled? she didn't even know where they were going but Josh had texted her to dress nicely so she assumed it was a fancy restaurant.

she's shaken out of her thoughts from a knock on the door before somebody steps in. she knows it's her boyfriend, having given him a key.

"hey, you ready to go?" he asks, appearing in the doorway of her bedroom.

Liv turns to him, nodding, "yeah i'm ready."

she reaches out for his hand as they leave her apartment. they make it down to his car and he opens the door for her as always. his playlist is playing as they drive to dinner, his hand on her knee, his thumb rubbing the skin gently.

"Josh?"

the curly haired boy glanced at her, "hmm?"

"i'm nervous. i've never had dinner with your parents before, not as your girlfriend and definitely not just the two of us. being with the whole cast is one thing but this is different." Liv says, her hand finding his and intertwining their fingers.