deja vu (j•o)

the wind blows through the open windows of his car as they drive through Malibu, the radio playing softly and the girl humming.

he smiles when she sticks a spoonful of strawberry ice cream in her mouth before refilling the spoon and holding it out for him to take a bite.

the sunset is beautiful but he can't stop looking at her.

it feels different now. the Malibu sun doesn't shine as bright, the ice cream isn't as sweet, and the songs don't sound the same.

it doesn't help that the girl in his passenger seat isn't the one he's thinking of.

***

"Josh, take my coat."

he chuckles as he takes the black coat from the petite brunette, slinging it over his shoulders. the New York air had a breeze to it and she had two coats, lending him one as she often does.

she chuckles when she takes a peak at him, the small coat fitting oddly over his frame.

"don't laugh at me." he groans, playfully rolling his eyes.

she brings her hands up to her cheeks, trying to resist the blush spreading, "sorry, sorry. you're just too cute."

he cracks a smile and presses a quick kiss to her forehead.

he's learned to bring a coat with him everywhere now. Sabrina doesn't like to share things like that. she says it's weird that he would want her coat when he should be giving her his.

again, he can't help but think about her and her coats.

***

if he's being honest, everything reminds him of her. he finds it hard to do daily tasks without thinking about her. she was such a big part of his every day life that he feels empty without her.

his apartment feels smaller. there were many days in the summer when Liv would come over and they'd watch glee on netflix and sing along to the songs until their throats hurt.

he's scrolling through netflix while the blonde girl searches for snacks in his kitchen. he clicks on an episode of glee without really thinking about it. Sabrina sits down next to him, "i found these vegan cookies in your cupboard." she mumbles.

Josh freezes, forgetting that he never threw them away after they broke up. those were Olivia's favorites and he had them stocked for when she came over.

"ooh glee, my favorite!"

"can we watch glee?!"

he chuckles, shaking his head, "babe, we've watched it every day this week. don't you wanna watch something else?"

Liv smiles coyly, "we could watch your episode of Greys..."

he shakes his head, "glee it is then."

"that's what i thought."

he cues up the episode while she grabs a package of vegan cookies from his kitchen, jumping onto the couch next to him, curling up under his arm.

***

Josh had his head buried in his phone as he texted Chelsea back. he's been busy doing work all day and he wanted nothing but to curl up on his couch with his favorite girl.

he comes into the apartment, already knowing she was there. he kicks his shoes off and moves to check the stack of mail on the counter, "hey Liv?! what do you wanna do for dinner tonight?"

it's silent for a moment but he doesn't think anything of it until he sees his girlfriend emerge from the bedroom out of the corner of his eye.

"what did you just call me?"

he glances up wide eyed at the blonde in front of him, realizing his mistake.

"oh uh...um."

"you just called me Liv, didn't you?"

Josh is silent, already knowing that he can't get out of this. Sabrina is pissed, and rightfully so.

the blonde passes by him and grabs her keys off the counter, "call me when you decide who you wanna be with."

***

"uptown girl, she's been living in her uptown world."

Josh chuckles as he watches the small brunette jump around to the Billy Joel song playing from his record player.

her hair was wild and she flailed her arms as she jumped and danced around like nobody was watching. he sat perched at the kitchen counter, his chin on his fist as he watched her.

she turn and sang to him as she danced around, coming to pull him out from behind the counter to dance with her.

as the chorus comes to a close he pulls her into his chest, swaying them to the song, "i love you." he says as he brushes some of her hair behind her ear.

her smile is electrifying as she beams at him, "i love you too."

"uptown girl, she's been living in her white bread world."

Josh glances over at the blonde as she sings along to the song on the radio in his car. he can't help but reminisce on the spunky brunette who sang the same song only months before.

"hey, i love you." Sabrina says as she turns to look at him.

he smiles, though it's not a big one, "love you too."

he's beginning to wonder why he called her after their fight a month before, and not the girl he's been thinking of.

***

he sits at his piano, his fingers dancing over the keys as he plays different melodies.

"hey," Olivia says quietly as she deals her hand over his broad shoulder, before taking a seat next to him on the piano bench.

he mumbles in response as she sits next to him, leaning her chin on his shoulder, "can i play you something?"

Josh nods and Liv places her hands on the keys, the beginning notes to 'Vienna' starting to fill the room.

he lets her play for a while before pressing a kiss to her temple, "can you teach me that one?"

she nods, turning back to the instrument with a smile on her face as she walks him through the chords of the song.

"slow down you crazy child, you're so ambitious for a juvenile."

Josh sings like his life depends on it as Sabrina sits next to him at the piano. she was amazed at how emotional he sounded as he sang to her, he must really love this song she thought.

he can only think of one girl as he sings the famous song, and it's not the one sitting next to him.

he wonders if he'll ever stop thinking about the brunette that he loved so much. he doesn't think he will. perhaps, she'll forever just be deja vu to him from now on.