here goes nothing (2)

it had been two weeks since Ricky proposed and nobody knew yet. Nini purposely wore the ring on her right hand so that nobody would get suspicious. they knew that they needed to tell everyone, and soon.

the two were sitting in Ricky's room. Nini was laying on his bed, playing with her ring while Ricky sat with his guitar at the end of the bed.

"we need to tell them." she said quietly.

Ricky sighed, setting his guitar down and looking directly into his girlfriends eyes. "i know. i'm scared."

it's true. he was scared of what his father would say. not to mention what Nini's moms would have to say about it.

"Ricky, i'm scared too but we can't lie to them about it. i wanna be able to tell my moms but i want you to be there with me when i do it." she pleaded.

"okay well then we'll tell them."

Ricky heard the front door open and his father enter the house. he looked between the bedroom door and Nini , deciding to go for it. he grabbed Nini's hand and spoke quickly.

"here goes nothing." he said. he noticed the slight smile on Nini's face and noticed when she quickly moved her ring from her right hand to her left. the two hurried down the stairs, hand in hand, to see Mike standing at the kitchen counter going through the mail.

"oh hey kids. have a good day?" he asked, not looking up.

Ricky swallowed hard, if he didn't tell him now then he never would. "Nini and i are engaged."

Nini dropped her head in disappointment. that wasn't the way they were supposed to tell him. Mike looked up at the two teens carefully. "what did you just say?"

Ricky took a deep breath as he and Nini walked into the kitchen to face Mike. "i proposed to Nini two weeks ago. she said yes so we're getting married."

Mike was quiet for a moment and then started laughing, "haha very funny kid. nice prank, you got me."

"he's serious." Nini spoke this time. Mike turned to look at her as she slid her left hand across the kitchen island, showing him the tiny ring that she loved so much.

Mike was speechless. he couldn't find the words to say. how could his son think this was a good idea? he didn't think Ricky was an idiot but now he wasn't so sure.

"Ricky, you can't be serious. you guys are 17 years old. you can't get married. you've never even been with other people, you don't know what else is out there for you guys."

"dad, i love her and i've always known that i was going to marry her. now you can support us or you can just let me go because if you don't agree with this then i'm leaving. i'll go live with Red or Nini but i need you to support me on this. i've never been more sure about anything in my life than i am about marrying Nini."

Ricky felt Nini squeeze his hand in confirmation. he glanced at her and saw her small smile. Mike didn't look too pleased. he wasn't on board with this. he and Lynn had gotten married really young and look how that turned out. he knew that the kids loved each other but he was sure it was just high school love.

"Ricky, i don't know about this. you two have never even been outside of Salt Lake before, you've never dated other people. this is just puppy love, once you're off to college you'll meet new people and grow apart and i don't want you to have to go through a divorce at such a young age."

Ricky was furious. why couldn't his dad understand this? he knew what he was doing, he was trying to talk Ricky out of the engagement but it wasn't going to work. he was marrying Nini whether he liked it or not.