back to you

Nini sighed as she moved through her house, picking up toys and books as she went. everything was a mess, it always was. that's what happens when you work a full time job and have nobody at home to help you.

"hey mom? is dad coming to get me?"

Nini turned at the sound of her daughters voice, smiling softly, "yep, he should be on his way. make sure your bag is packed."

the curly haired girl ran back up the stairs to her room, her converse scuffing up the floors that Nini will have to clean later.

things had gone way differently for Nini than she hoped they would. when she was 20, she gave birth to her and Ricky's daughter Maggie. they tried to make things work, staying together until she was three before they broke up. while Nini had hoped that they'd do the whole marriage thing before they had a baby together, she wouldn't trade anything for her 10 year old. Maggie was the love of her life.

Ricky was a great father. he refused to be absent, always coming around and being there at the drop of a hat for both Maggie and Nini. more than enough times, Nini would send him a frantic text in the middle of the night when Maggie was growing up and he'd be there in minutes, soothing her and their little girl.

they shared custody. Maggie lived primarily with Nini and went to Ricky's house every weekend. they split holidays every year, making sure they always had fair opportunities with their daughter. they even did family days, going to the movies or the zoo, just the three of them so that Maggie could have a sense of a real family.

after Maggie was born, Nini lived with her moms while she finished school. Ricky was saving up from his jobs to get them an apartment while they were still in school, the two of them moving in together just before their daughters first birthday. things were great at first, they were happy with their little girl. things changed as the months went on. they both worked exceptionally hard to provide for their daughter, hardly having time for each other. it was more often than not that they went to bed without speaking to each other, both turned away from each other. Nini moved out just after Maggie turned three. her moms had retired, leaving the house to her when they downsized to a smaller house. she moved into her childhood home with her daughter, leaving Ricky behind in that apartment.

things were tough between the two of them for a while but they never let it get in the way of their parenting. it all came crashing down when Maggie contracted a virus at daycare and Nini had to take her to the hospital in the middle of the night. the two young adults screamed at each other in the hospital hallway before breaking into tears, both saying that they didn't want to argue or post blame on each other, Maggie was both their responsibilities. they'd both made her.

things had been smooth sailing since then. Nini and Ricky got along great, they even went out together once a month to discuss parenting and what they planned in terms of their daughter. Maggie often expressed that she wished her parents were together but it just didn't work that way. they were over.

Nini smiled softly when she heard his voice ring out through the house, "hello, hello!"

she brushed her hair back as she walked out from the living room to greet him at the door, faltering a little when she saw he wasn't alone, "hey Ricky, Chelsea, it's nice to see you again."

it's no secret that Nini isn't a fan of Ricky's girlfriend. they'd been together almost three years, Ricky sometimes expressing that he wants to spend his life with her. Nini pretends that it doesn't hurt, that she didn't want to spend her life with him. they're 30, it's time for them to settle down.

Ricky hugs Nini tightly, his hands rubbing her back softly, "what's your plan for tonight? it's friday, please don't tell me you're spending it in front of the tv again?"