A mind needs books - GoT - Tyrion x Reader

Tyrion watched from his hidden niche, as the young maid made her way into the library; she appearing to him like a skittish mouse, that was watching for the cat, as she opened the door to the large room that only the youngest son of the old lion seemed to frequent. He had found her in the room on a number of occasions, before. The woman always claiming to merely be cleaning, when he entered the library; she apologising most profusely, before almost running from the room. Yet no matter what she had said, Tyrion couldn't help but think there was so much more to it. The little lion noticing books that had been taken from the shelves, that he himself had not put on the table. That other's had been left open at certain pages, or had been marked, so that the reader could come back to them later; and this time, he was determined to find out the truth. Determined to see if it was the maid that loved the books, as much as he did.

Slowly, quietly, she closed the door behind her; Tyrion unable to stop himself from smiling as she took a deep breath, taking in the odour of the room and the multiple old tomes that filled the shelves; the little lion knowing that he did the same, the scent of books always making him feel comfortable, happy, safe.

Finally, she made her way to one of the shelves, her fingers ghosting over the spines of the books, it obvious that she was looking for something in particular; it obvious, just from this, that she could read. An ability that was rare for most of the maids that milled around the Keep. But he already knew that she wasn't just like any other maid, it seeming that from the first time that he had found her in the library, there was something more about her, and it wasn't just her beauty; it wasn't just the way that she had taken his breath away when she had smiled at him slightly, before quickly leaving the room, it was that he felt as though she shared the same love as him.......a love for developing the mind. For sharpening it with books, like his brother would sharpen Oathkeeper, with a whetstone.

"There you are........" She suddenly said with an amused chuckle. Tyrion startled slightly, until he realised that she was pulling one of the books from the shelf. The lion watching as she made her way to the largest of the chairs, bringing her legs up, before wrapping her skirts around herself.

"Now, where was I.........?" She continued, as she thumbed through the pages. Tyrion wishing, he could see what she was so interested in; what out of the many volumes, had caught her attention.

He had promised himself that he would just see what she did; see if his notions about her, were right. Yet as she slowly immersed herself in whatever it was that she was reading, he found that he could conceal himself no longer.

"Did you know........" Tyrion began, as he made his way from the dark corner; the book on her lap falling to the floor, as the maid quickly jumped to her feet.

"That Maegor the Cruel had six wives. More than one at once; and they call Aerys the Mad King.........." The little man chuckled, as he looked at the stunned maid. Closing the book that he was holding, before picking up the large work that she had been reading, from the floor, then taking a seat in the chair opposite her.

"The legends of Westeros and Essos........." The lion hummed, as he looked at the spine.

"An interesting read. Where have you got to............?"

"I........don't know what you mean, my lord, I can't read. I was just.........."

"Cleaning.......yes, I know. Yet when others come to clean this room, they do not find a book and then sit on a chair.........." Tyrion continued, as he placed down the book.

"There is nothing wrong with being able to read..........."

"But there is, isn't there?" She interrupted, as she took a step forward. The look of unease that she had previously had, quickly turning into something that looked more like anger and defiance.

"It is one of the things that keeps the likes of me, and the likes of you, separated. Keeps us lesser beings, in our lowly place. Nobles don't like it when the small folk can read, they think we will get ideas, question those who think that they are our betters. For with knowledge, comes power. Comes the ability to see that because someone is born with a fancy title, it doesn't mean that they know everything. And if truth be told, I have met more than one blue blood, that couldn't find their own backsides without the help of their servants........." The maid continued. Her brows furrowing, as the little man began to laugh.

"What is your name..........?" Tyrion asked, as his amusement finally died away.

"I..........(Y/n).........."

"Well, (Y/n), I would have to say that you are right; not just about the reading, but about the not being able to find their backsides, part. I myself have met more than one noble, that was a dribbling imbecile. But unlike others of my social position, I admire someone that wishes to better themselves, that questions everything; that wishes to know more. Yet it is rare that I find someone like that, here. So........." Tyrion replied, as he held out the book.

"Perhaps you can stop pretending that you are merely coming here to clean, and instead, you can join me in sharpening our minds." He continued. The lion smiling broadly at her, as she took the book from his hand, and retook her seat.

"And once we have finished reading, perhaps you can tell me more about yourself?" (Y/n) nodding at the request before opening the large tome up, to where she had left off. Tyrion having a feeling that this could become something very interesting.