Spirit - The Hobbit - Thorin x Reader

He slowly limped through the Mountain with the aid of a cane that had been fashioned for him, once again unable to sleep. His and Fili's near death at the hands of Azog; Kili's at the hands of Bolg, had been keeping him awake. He knew how lucky he was to still be alive, how lucky his nephews were to still be drawing breath. Yet he was sure that he wouldn't have been unless she had been there. And he was sure that it had been her.

Thorin was sure that he had seen her on Ravenhill. That when the white orc had loomed over him, and he could feel the tip of Azog's blade push into his skin, he had caught sight of a beautiful something, that had knocked the orc's blade to the side, allowing him to pierce the vile creatures pale flesh, before Azog had stumbled backwards and disappeared over the side of the hill. He was also sure that she had been by his side, gently caressing his face and telling him that he would be fine, before Bilbo had appeared. The image of her firmly in his mind, as he had closed his eyes to finally rest, now that it was all over.

(Y/n) had been the most beautiful dwarrowdam to ever call the Mountain, home. Even from being young, it had been obvious that she would be a prize for any male; and it had been Thorin that had been lucky enough to be chosen by her. The evident chemistry between the prince and the lady, proving to the entire kingdom that Mahal had made one for the other. That it was fate that the two were to be together. Thorin sure that he was never happier than when she was by his side. The touch of her hand and the way that she would smile at him, always making him glad to be alive. Thorin telling her all the things they would do together, once they were wed. How he would love her for the rest of his days; yet it would transpire that some things were just not meant to be.

The Lonely Mountain was beginning to prepare for the royal marriage between (Y/n) and the oldest son of Thráin, when the shadow of the beast had loomed over it and Dale. The great dwarven kingdom filling with the sounds of screams and shouts, as the dragon, that had been attracted by the hoard of gold that King Thrór had collected, filled the halls with fire. At the first sight of the beast, Thorin had gone to find her; for despite the danger, despite the calls from his father, he could not leave his bride to be, all alone. The prince knowing that she was his one and only; that if anything were to happen to her, he could and would never love again. His voice echoing through the halls as he made his way towards where the dragon stood; pushing passed all the dwarves, as they tried to escape their impending doom. Thorin stopping, as he came to the great hall, his mind racing, his heart breaking as he saw (Y/n) caught under a claw of the beast. The dragon looking at the prince, and seeming to smile, as the dwarrowdam called out for Thorin to run; to leave her and save himself. The son of Thráin refusing; gripping the hilt of his sword, before beginning to advance. The firedrake once more flashing his teeth, before he raised his claw and plunged it through (Y/n)'s body; a roar leaving Thorin's lips, as he saw the light of his beautiful one, leave her eyes. The dwarrowdam only able to silently mouth the words, 'I love you', before her head had fallen lifelessly to the floor. Her death quickly followed by another blast of fire that had stopped the prince from getting any closer. A heartbroken Thorin able to do nothing but join his people in escaping the desolation.

"(Y/n)..........?" The new king gasped, as he stepped foot onto the golden floor, and spied a pale spirit, staring back at him with an oh so familiar smile gracing its features.

"Hello, my love......." Thorin staggering back, and rubbing his eyes, as the apparition floated upwards, before drifting towards him. A part of the king sure that this was all due to his lack of sleep. Yet as she stopped in front of him and reached out to place a hand on his cheek, he realised that it was all to real.

"I.......I am sorry........"

"For what.........?" Thorin closing his eyes as he felt the slightest of touches against his skin. Wishing that he could take her into his arms and hold her tight, just once more.

"For not saving you. For allowing that vile slug to take you from me. For succumbing to the sickness and for not being brave enough..........."

"Not brave enough. Thorin, you are the bravest dwarf I ever met. And there was nothing you could have done against Smaug; he was never going to let me live. But at least you did; at least you have been able to reclaim what is rightfully, yours, and our people can come home. And as for the sickness, you overcame it; you overcame it and you fought.........."

"And survived only because of you........" Thorin replied as he reached out his own hand, only to find that his fingers passed straight through her wispy form.

"Your time had not come, my love, not against the dragon, and not against the orc. Yet when it does, and you have ruled long and wisely, I will be waiting for you. So, no more concerning yourself with what could have been; with deaths that did not happen. Just be the king that I know that you can be. And then, when you join me, you will have all of eternity to show me those things that you promised you would, when we were married." (Y/n) explained, before leaning in to kiss him. The king closing his eyes as he felt the slightest of breaths, gently caress his lips. Only to open them again, to find himself alone. The king brushing a tear from his cheek, before slowly turning. His sadness replaced by a smile as he was sure that he could still feel his one, over his shoulder. Thorin promising her that when they did meet again, he would love her for the rest of eternity.