(291): I Want To Remember (Part Three)

Way back in July, I wrote I Want To Remember (Part Two). I was super down and I was struggling to bring myself to do anything around that time, so I never finished writing it. Before you read this, you might want to read parts one & two. They're the 269th and 271st one shots.

// this was a struggle to write. I went to bed feeling extremely dizzy and woke up feeling just as dizzy and sick to my stomach. I apologize for not spending much time on this!

Part three~

(Unedited).

You're back at home. It's been two weeks since you were released, and you're starting your long process of remembering. You're sitting back against the pillows, reading a book that you found on your bedside. You don't remember it much, so you assume that you bought it before the accident.

You glance up when there's a knock at the door.

"Hey," a voice says. Hiro. "I, uh, just stopped by to check on you. Oh. And I brought you some things." He holds up the cardboard box in his hands.

"Hi," you say. You pat the end of your bed. "You can have a seat if you want."

Hiro smiles and sits down, placing the box beside him. "So, what have you been doing?"

"Sleeping a lot," you tell him. "But I've mostly been reading today."

Hiro looks at the cover. "(Favorite_book)," he reads aloud. "That's your favorite."

"How is it my favorite of I've never read it before?" You ask. Hiro frowns and looks away as it sinks in. You have forgotten a lot of things about yourself.

Hiro changes the subject. "So, um. Have you had therapy sessions?"

"Yeah," you reply. "My therapist is really patient and kind. Everything's just so fuzzy, you know? If I think about it too much I'll get a headache."

Hiro smiles encouragingly. "You'll get there eventually, ___." You smile. Hiro blushes and grabs the box. "This is for you. The Hamada care package." You open up the flaps of the cardboard box and pull out a couple of videogames. "These were our favorites," he explains.

Your eyebrows pull together as you examine the covers. "I didn't known that I was an alien invasion kind of girl," you mumble. Hiro laughs. Below the videogames are a few pictures.

"I put those in there for you. You know, to keep at you bedside. And they might help you remember something."

You look over the top photo. You and Hiro look a few years younger. You're playing with toy robots on the living room floor. The next photo, Hiro is in a cap and gown. He holds a diploma in one hand and his other hand rests on your shoulder. An older man with black hair and brown eyes is standing behind, giving both of you bunny ears. Your fingertips graze the photo. "Tadashi," you whisper quietly.

Hiro looks into your eyes. "W-What did you say?"

"That's his name, isn't it? Your brother?" You ask, your eyes meeting his. Hiro nods. "He was always picking on us. And we would make fun of him for being such a geek." Your lips pull up into a smile. "He was really nice to me, and he treated me like a sister."

"Yeah," Hiro breathes. "Yeah, that's right."

"Where is he? Why hasn't he visited?"

Hiro's eyes fill with sadness. "___. . . Tadashi died in a fire almost a year ago."

"He's. . . gone," you state as you remember the showcase fire. Tears fill your eyes. "I-I'm sorry, Hiro. I- I forgot. I forgot that-"

"It's okay," he says, gently placing his hand on your shoulder.