(210): Cookout

Tadashi x Reader that I thought of because it is seriously warm out (where I live) today. And I have serious writer's block. I can't write good today. Please forgive this disgrace of a one shot.

(Unedited).

It's a warm afternoon, so you lay on a blanket outside, reading a (book/magazine) with a cup of (favorite_drink) by your side. Your phone buzzes. You pick it up and see that it's Tadashi, your boyfriend. "Hello?"

"Hey, ___. Would you like to come over for a cookout today?"

"Sure," You say. "Is everyone going to be there?"

"Yeah. Aunt Cass is grilling out and she made a cake."

"I thought that is was beat poetry night."

"Yeah, it was cancelled. Hiro got in trouble earlier."

"Ah. Bot fights, huh?"

"Yup. We've gotta keep an eye on the knucklehead. Anyways, meet us here in about twenty."

"Okay. I'm leaving now."

~

You walk around the side of Lucky Cat Cafe, where your group of friends stand outside. Music plays and people laugh.

"Hey, ___'s here!" Fred exclaims, waving.

Everyone turns and waves at you. You smile.

"Hey, guys," You greet.

Tadashi grins and walks over to you. He carries two cups of juice. He hugs you from the side and kisses you. "Hey. Juice?"

"Thanks," You say. You take the cup and lift it to your lips. You take a sip of your juice. Tadashi takes your hand and leads you to where everyone else stands.

"Hey, ___." Cass stands at the grill, spatula in hand. "What would you like? Hamburger? Hot dog? Chicken?"

"(Hamburger/Hot_Dog/Chicken), please." Aunt Cass smiles.

You see Hiro, fiddling with a robot. "Hey, Hiro. I heard you went to jail again today. Bot fights are illegal, You know."

Hiro smirks. "I haven't been arrested." HE adds on, "Yet. And bot fights aren't illegal."

"But betting on bot fights is illegal," Tadashi says. "Hiro, I just think that you could do a lot better than this."

Hiro rolls his eyes. "Look, I'm good at this. I don't need to go to college so they can teach me stuff that I already know." Hiro stands up and walks away.

You squeeze Tadashi's hand. "He'll come to eventually. Don't stress about it."

Tadashi smiles. "Yeah. You're right."

"Have you ever thought of showing him SFIT?"

"He never goes with me."

"Well, take him there when he thinks that he's going to a bot fight."

Tadashi laughs. "That's brilliant."

"See?" You tap your head. "You've just got to find a new angle."

"Okay, guys! Get your food. There's chips and baked beans and salad and rolls. Get as much as you'd like."

You get your food and sit by Tadashi at the picnic table. Your group of friends debate on what outdoor game to play after dinner.  Honey Lemon, Fred, and Cass sit in front of you, Wasabi, Go Go, and Hiro on the other side of Tadashi. Honey Lemon holds up her phone. "Everybody say, 'picnic'!"

"Picnic!" Everyone says with a smile on their face.

"Yay! Okay, guys. Let's go play games!" Honey Lemon leaps up.

Go Go stands up and smiles. "Sounds good to me." She takes out her wad of pink gum and sticks it onto the table.

Wasabi gags. "Ugh- really? That's not sanitary!"

Go Go grabs a handful of Wasabi's shirt. "Let's go." She yanks him up.

Fred jumps up. "I'm in."

Hiro sighs. "Me too, I guess."

Tadashi stands up. "Come on, ___."

"No, I think I'll just watch."

Tadashi pouts. "Please?"

You sigh. "You know that I can't say no to that face." Tadashi takes your hand and pulls you up.

He laughs and then kisses you.  "I love you."

"I must love you, too," You say. You kiss Tadashi again.