(288): Left Behind

Fred x Reader requested by avrilsnow~

(Unedited).

"Hey, ___!" Fred calls out. He waves at you from the doorway of your lab and smiles.

"Hi, Freddie," you respond, flashing that brilliant smile that he loves. "Heading to a game?"

Fred steps inside and sets his sign down on the ground. "Just getting back from one, actually." He leans over your desk. "Are you busy?"

"I'm taking a break," you say, sitting back in your seat. "Why?"

"I was wondering if you would-"

"Hey, ___," Fred is cut short by Tadashi's words. He leans against the door frame and smiles. "Ready to go?" He sees Fred and says, "Hey, Fred. You did awesome at the game today."

"Yeah," you reply, standing up. You grab your sweater and backpack and walking around your desk.

"You're going out with Tadashi again?" Fred asks, trying to hide his sadness.

"Yeah," You say. "We have this huge robotics test on Wednesday and I just really want to pass. He's been helping me study." You turn back to the door. "Oh. What did you want to ask me?"

"Nothing. It can wait. Uh. . . have fun."

"Are you sure?" You ask.

"Completely. Go on. I'll even lock your lab up for you."

"Thanks, Fred. You really are the best," you say happily. You step out of the lab with Tadashi, who gives Fred a small wave before placing his hand on your back and leading you out. Fred drops his head. It's been like this for weeks. All he wants to do is ask you out. You've always been super close to him, and Fred has always liked you more than anything on earth. But every time he gathers up the courage to ask you out, you push him away and run off with Tadashi.

"It's hopeless," he mutters to himself, his eyes looking at the green monster suit that covers him. Sighing, Fred grabs his comic that he left on your desk and leaves, turning the light off behind him.

-

The next day, he shows up later than usual. When he arrives, he immediately sees you standing by the door of your lab.

"Hey, Freddie," you say, "I've been waiting for you."

"Hey, sorry. I was running late." He shrugs.

"I wanted to ask you what you were going to talk to me about."

"Oh." Fred blushes and waves it away. "It was nothing important."

"Freddie, you know that everything that you say is important to me," you say patiently. Fred bites his lip before grabbing your hand and pulling you into your lab. He shuts the door. "What-"

"I can't tell you anything until you answer me this," he says. You nod slowly. "Are you and Tadashi. . . together?"

Your eyes widen. "Why would you ask that, Freddie? No, we're not together. We're just friends. You know that."

"It's just. . . I . . . really like you, and every time I was going to ask you out, Tadashi would step in and your attention would go straight to him." He holds his arms against his chest and looks away. "I don't know. . . I guess Freddie was just a little jealous."

You sigh. "Fred, you should've told me that you felt that way about Tadashi and I." He shrugs. "I'll make it up to you."

He looks at you and shakes his head. "No, it's-" He's silenced as you reach up and press your lips against his. Fred doesn't hesitate to wrap his arms around you, pulling you closer and deepening the kiss. His hands hold your waist gently.

The door opens. Tadashi steps in and says, "___, I'm finished with. . ." He sees you in Fred's arms and pauses. "Um. . . yeah. I'll just. . . uh- I'll come back. Later. Yeah." He clears his throat and steps out, shutting the door behind him.

You pull away, your cheeks on fire. Fred laughs. "That was awkward," you comment.

Fred nods in agreement.

"Did I make it up to you yet?" You ask, wrapping your arms around Fred's waist.

He smiles. "Not yet." He takes your face in his hands and his lips meet yours once again.