Prison Release

2.08

The sirens went off as FP walked out the building. A guard escorted him out. FP smiled when he saw his son and Betty on the other side of the fence. The fence rolled opened and he got to walk out. He embraced Jughead. It felt like he was stuck in there for far too long.

"Hey Betty."

"Hi Mr. Jones," Betty gave him a welcoming smile. To his surprise he turned to see her mother right in front of them. He was not sure what snarky comment she would give him. He was expecting something sardonic.

"Alice?"

"Is it true what they say about men who have been released from prison, FP?" Alice crossed her arms and stared at him.

"What do they say?"

"That they're incredibly sexually frustrated."

"Mom-," Betty gave her an odd look.

"Wow," Jughead said.

"-what?"

Jughead pulled her over to the car. Alice smirks and turns around going to her seat. FP stood there for a second taking in what she had just told him. He sends her a cheeky smile she didn't see.

"Seatbelts guys," Alice buckled in and drove the car away from Shankshaw. FP reached over to change the radio. Alice smacked his hand and he pulled it back. "I like this song."

"You hate this song," FP tried to reach for the radio again.

"Well I like it now," Alice smacked his hand again. She raised the volume.

"How did you know she hated this song?" Betty asked.

"Well she hates everything."

"That's not true," Alice huffed.

"Is so," FP chuckles. "Back in high school you told me to get a haircut because you hated my hair."

"It was hard to see the board with that big head of yours."

"You could have moved."

"I claimed my seat first," Alice rolled her eyes. FP didn't continue the bickering. He kind of liked it knowing how feisty she was but they had the kids in the backseat.

"Like indecision to call you and hear your voice of treason. Will you come home and stop the pain tonight."

The song played in the background. Alice caught him sneak a quick look at her from the side of her eyes. He nonchalantly placed his arm on the arm rest between them. He fiddled his fingers as he stared out the window.

"Mom you passed the diner," Betty pointed out.

"Oh, I was distracted," Alice made a U-turn up ahead. She waited for a car to drive by before going into the parking lot.

FP stepped out the car and placed his arms on the top of the station wagon. He stared at Alice as she got out the car. Jughead held the door open for Betty. The teens were so busy with each other they didn't notice the tension between their parents. Alice looked at FP and walked with the kids into the diner.

FP opened the door for them all. He saw the Help Wanted sign on the window as they walked in. It gave him an idea. It would be the start to his journey  towards being a better man. They took a seat at a booth and got prepared to eat together once again. It was different from being in the Cooper house for dinner.

•••

"Betty won't listen to reason so I'm telling you FP-" Alice stormed into the diner.

"Alice?" FP turned around to see the angry woman coming towards him.

"-if she even thinks about putting on a serpent jacket. I'll have your head!"

"I'm working." FP looked around. He set her aside so they could talk.

"I won't have our kids make the same mistakes we did," Alice glared at him.

"They weren't all mistakes," FP spat out. He tried to figure out a way to reason with her. All he could think about is inviting her. "If you're that worried come to the party, chaperone her."

"Are you high on fumes? I can't."

"Yes you can," FP insists. He wanted her there. "Stop by, say hi to some old friends."

Alice scoffs, "Hal would never come."

"Well then leave him," FP frustratedly said hearing the sound of his name. He saw the look on her face. It finally got to him what he had just blurted out. "...at home."

Alice rushed out. FP took his apron off and threw his hat on the counter. He ran after her outside. "Alice!" He stood in front of the car door with his hands out. He blocked her from getting in. "Come to the party."

"No I shouldn't."

"Please. I want you there," FP begged. "I've missed you."

"Don't do this to me."

"Tell me you'll come," FP grabbed one of her hands. "Just like old times. Don't you remember?"

"Of course I remember."

"Then let's go back to those days. A sense of familiarity for once."

"If I say yes will you let me leave."

"I don't know about leave-"

"FP," Alice cut him off.

"Okay okay," FP compromised. "So you're coming?"

"Yes," Alice nods. "Bye Forsythe."

He saw that smile she tried to hide. She got into the car and drove out of the lot. He waved as she disappeared into the distance. "You're a wild one Alice," FP said to himself.