Talk to Me

Version 1

Alice had been going to Pop's the past few weeks for her morning coffee before heading to work. She usually was greeted with his smile and the cup of coffee. However she started to notice she was seeing less and less of FP. Whenever she did get to see him he would barely show his energy. She thought maybe he switched to night shifts but there were a couple of times she stopped by for a meal in the evening and still didn't see him. She thought something was off and she needed to know what it was.

Instead of grabbing coffee in the morning on her way to The Register she drove down to the trailer park. She found her way to his trailer. She walked up the few set of steps and knocked on the front door. No answer. She gave another set of knocks and still no answer. "FP? Are you in there?" She said loud enough for him to hear. He must of heard her voice because the door had opened right then.

FP peered the door open to reveal himself. His disheveled hair was fringing over his eyes and the tiny glimpses of pupils she was able to make out from behind the strands were looking empty. It was as if he were in the doldrums. His beard had increased in size. It wasn't at its usual length. "Alice?" He was confused by her presence. "What are you doing here?"

"I was getting worried about you. I haven't seen much of you recently. Are you alright?"

"I'm fine, thanks. You can go now." FP shut the door but Alice kept it from closing. She took a peek inside. "It's a mess in here."

"Well that happens with a dog in the house."

"You don't have a dog."

"I'm on my third one," FP shrugged.

"What's going on? Do you want to talk about it?" Alice insisted on helping. "Was it prison?"

"I'm alright. Shouldn't you be at work? Won't your boss get mad?"

"Forsythe, I'm my own boss. I can be mad at myself some other time. Right now I'm focusing on you." Alice pushed the door a little more open. "Now talk to me." She headed towards the couch. "Is that a flask?"

"No, I'm not going down that road again." FP sighed. He picked up what she was looking at. "This would be the cologne I misplaced long ago." He sprayed a speck in the air. He walked into it. "See?" Alice nodded and took a seat. "I'm just dandy."

"Talking about what's clearly bothering you will help you." Alice tried to get him to confide in her. "Talk to me." She patted the seat next to her so he could sit down. He nodded and did as told. He honestly felt much better to know someone cared even though he didn't want to talk about it.

"I was fine-" FP saw the look on her face. "Let me finish," He put his finger up. "I was fine until I started to think about it. I was so close to serving years. Being caged and losing my chance to be a father to Jughead. I already lost that with Jellybean. I was just afraid. I screwed up. I could have lost everything." He said. "I know I was a terrible father but losing my chance again just really struck me. I couldn't be that man, not like my old man."

"You're not," Alice placed her hand on his knee. "You are a selfless father. You put your son before you. You were protecting your son. Yes, the circumstances were terrible, but all you were doing was being the father you wanted. You wanted your kids to have that kind of father and I never doubted you would be."

"You really mean that?"

"I really do," Alice smiled at him. "Just remember. We can talk anytime you need to."

•••

Betty and Alice were in the living room watching tv when someone knocked on the door. Betty got up to answer. "Jug, hey. What's with the giddy smile?"