January 20

Alice sat at the kitchen table with a cup of coffee in her hand. She pulled on her robe and wrapped it around herself. It was very cold in January, especially when she woke up in bed alone. There's a lot of space on the bed which she now had for herself. She missed waking up beside the man she loved. Feeling his warmth while being intertwined under the covers brought her pure joy. His beard would always nuzzle her cheek where he would then press a soft kiss. She loved to wake up to the sweet familiar scent that belonged to FP.

Hal was in prison where he deserved to be and Betty was upstairs still asleep in her room. Alice stared out into space while deep in her thoughts. It was the twentieth of January. She put the cup down and walked back up the stairs towards her room. She passed Betty's room along the way. Betty heard her and stepped out of her room. "Good morning mom."

"Good morning honey."

Betty walked down the hall to the staircase. She went down to the kitchen to make herself some breakfast. Alice entered her bedroom and shut the door. She went over to the closet. She took the step stool out and put out it in front of her. She stepped on top of it and reached for a box on the top shelf. She took it down carefully and placed it on the bed. She opened the lid to look inside. It was a memory box full of her happiest memories. She pulled out a picture of herself in her teenage years. She glanced over at the mirror. She saw herself as the young girl in the picture. She brought her hand out towards the mirror. Her fingertips touched her reflection. "Al, we're not staring at ourselves in the mirror again, are we?" Alice's eyes drift to the teenage boy standing beside her younger self. He had the brightest smile on his face. He was dressed in blue jeans and a simple white tee.

Alice turned around and put the photograph back in the box. FP was sitting on the edge of the bed watching her. He sat there quietly while she sorted out the items inside. FP grabbed his Serpent jacket from inside the box and slipped it on. When he pulled it out another image surfaced. Alice took it out and brought it up to her eyes. FP looked exactly like he did in the picture. She lowered the picture to be able to look at FP. While she was busy admiring the photograph he had disappeared and left his jacket on the corner of the bed.

"Mom," Betty knocked on her door. "I'm leaving now. I'm going to school."

"Alright sweetie. Have a good day."

"I will. Bye."

Alice opened the door and walked back downstairs for her cup of coffee. FP was sitting on the island in the kitchen tossing grapes up in the air and catching them in his mouth. She watched as he finally got it inside his mouth. "You're such a dork." Alice tells him.

"A dork who caught a grape in his mouth," FP winked and laughed. Alice fondly rolled her eyes and walked past him to the table. She took a seat and he jumped off the island to go up to her. He wrapped his arms around her. "Isn't the birthday boy going to get some love?"

"The birthday boy is to never be forgotten." She titled her head back and he leaned down to kiss her on the lips.

"Good because I brought Charles along and we wouldn't want to miss out on a celebration."

"Yeah mom," Charles spoke up. He appeared out of nowhere. He stood beside his father. FP put an arm around his shoulders and lowered his head so he could noogie him. Charles laughed, "Make him stop mom. He's been doing that since he first saw me."

"Because we're finally together knucklehead," FP chuckled. He let him go and Charles picked a stance. They brought their fists up to their faces and playfully swung at each other as they both dodged every throw. Alice smiled at her boys. "Let me go change and we'll be on our way." Alice went to the staircase and took a last glance at them before going to go change out of her sleepwear. Alice came back down a few minutes later in a coat and warm clothing. She opened the front door and found FP and Charles sitting on the steps outside. The two got along very well. It was like they clicked together instantly. The boys stood up and walked in front of her on the sidewalk. They walked past Fred's house next door. Fred was standing on his porch grabbing his mail. "G'morning Alice." He glanced up to see her walking.

"Good morning Fred." Alice waved at him. He smiled and walked back inside of his house. The boys must have taken a head start because she couldn't see them in sight anymore.

"Hey mom! We're here! Take a left at the corner!" She heard Charles' voice from the distance. "You're almost here, Al!" FP added in. Alice made the turn and walked straight into the cemetery. She went over to the gravestone she was looking for. When she arrived she sets down a bouquet of flowers she bought at the entrance. She then ran her fingers across the engraved name on the headstone.

"Happy birthday Jonesy," Alice let a tear roll down her cheek

"Happy birthday Jonesy," Alice let a tear roll down her cheek. FP and Charles stood behind her. FP crouched down and wiped the tear away. It had been eight months since the Ghoulies took him away from her during their war with the Serpents. "I miss you."

"We miss you too mom," Charles sat beside Alice, to her left. He left his head rest on her shoulder. FP similarly sat on her right and wrapped her arms around her. "Don't cry, Al. We're right here with you."

"Oh hey," Jughead came to pay his respects to his father on his birthday before going to school. He placed a couple of flowers in front of the headstone.

"Hello Jughead," Alice wiped her tears away before he could see them.

"I see you came to wish him happy birthday too," He put on a weak smile. "I didn't know you two were close."

"Yeah we were real close," Alice smiled. "He was part of the family just like you."

"I miss him," Jughead said sadly.

"Me too," Alice nods in agreement.

"Waking up alone in the hospital and finding out he died trying to avenge me really hurt."

"He loved you too much."

"I know," Jughead began to cry. He tried to stop himself but couldn't. Alice told him it was okay to let it all out. "But he's in a better place now. I love him so much."

"I love him too," Alice unconsciously said. Jughead didn't really think about it. He was busy grieving too.

"Well I better get going before I'm late to class," Jughead sniffled. "Or else I won't stop crying." He lightly joked. He was trying real hard to cope. "I'll be back later dad."

"I love you, son." FP said as he walked away. Once Jughead was gone Alice stood up. Her eyes didn't leave the headstone. FP hugged her from behind as they looked down. "I love you too, Al." Alice felt the warmth on her.