Tell Me

FP had paced around the living room contemplating on whether to call her or not. He sat down in his recliner and stared at his phone. It just laid there on the coffee table. He had to do, he thought, he had to. He grabbed his phone and dialed her number. It rang until she picked up. It felt like the longest five seconds of his life.

"Hello?" The sound of her voice made him choke on his words. He couldn't find himself to speak. He just missed listening to her. "Hello?" She questioned again. He still didn't manage to say something. The silence went on for far too long. She hung up.

"Dammit," FP tossed the phone on the couch and laid back. He stared up at the ceiling. He was deep in his thoughts by the time Jughead walked in. He didn't hear the door open or him walking up to him for that matter.

"Dad?" Jughead snapped him out of his daze. FP looked at him. "I thought you were down at the station."

"Yeah, I was on my way." He stood up. He grabbed his phone and went up to the coat rack for his jacket. "Just lost track of time."

FP sat at his desk filing out papers. He decided to take a break. He put his pen down and leaned back on his chair. His eye caught the phone on his desk. He wanted to call her again and hopefully get words out this time. He shakily dialed her number.

He let the phone ring and patiently waited for her to pick up. "Say something this time you idiot," FP told himself. The line went through and he heard Alice's voice. "Hello?" FP once again couldn't get words out. He panicked. "Again? Who is this? Hello?"

He pushed himself to say something, anything, or else she would hang up. "Alice," He spoke up for once.

"FP?"

"I wanted to call and talk but I just kept panicking," FP confessed.

"Why?"

"I don't know. I just didn't think you would want to talk to me."

"You wounded me, Jones."

"I'm sorry," FP apologized. "I just...I'm not good at these things. I'm trying, Al. I really am."

"I never know with you, FP. One day we're in love and the next you blow me off, push me away. Classic FP Jones," Alice scoffed.

"Why'd you say it like that?" FP didn't like how she mocked the words in love.

"Tell me it's not true."

"Alice, you asked me if I loved you."

"I did, yeah."

"You know I do."

"I wanted to hear you say it for once. I wanted to be sure. I wanted to know."

"You don't know I love you?"

"It's hard to know when you shun me out and go back to your wife." Alice wanted him to really think about that. "There have been many times where I hated you...but I wanted you."

"Alice-"

"I just want to know, FP. I just want to know. Do you love me? Did you ever?"

"Al..." It was on the tip of his tongue. It was that close. The line went silent. Alice couldn't wait any longer. The phone call ended. FP sighed and hung his head low.

The door swung open and his head shot up. He saw her standing at the door. He stood up. He didn't take his eyes off of her.

Alice began to drive to him when she heard his voice on the line. She did want him to tell her how he felt about her.

"I'm going to stand here one more time and ask you again." Alice found her way back to the spot she last asked him. "Do you love me?"

"I love you, Alice." FP walked around his desk to her. He cupped her face. He made her look into his eyes. She could see his watery eyes. "I never wanted you to think I didn't love you."

"What are you waiting for? I'm not going to kiss myself, Jonesy."

FP chuckled and rubbed his eyes to get rid of the tears begging to fall out. He kissed her. He kissed her, alright. "I love you too," Alice pressed her forehead against his. She snaked her arms around him.

"I never thought otherwise," He rested his chin on the top of her head and held her too.