Divorce

•••

•••

Hal arrived at the front door in the middle of the afternoon. After the earful of a phone call he got yesterday he was not happy to go have a sit down with his wife. He knocked on the door waiting for someone to let him in.

"Betty can you get it. It's your father." Alice rolled her eyes. She was drying the dishes and placing them back in the cabinet. Betty went to go open the door.

"Hi dad."

"Hi sweetie. Where's your mother?"

"She's in the kitchen!" Alice yelled at him.

"How about you go visit a friend? Your mom and I need to talk privately," Hal sighs.

"I was just on my way out," Betty nods in agreement. "Bye mom! I'm going to catch a movie with Jughead!"

"Be home by curfew!"

"I will. Love you!"

"Love you too honey! Have fun!"

"Bye dad," Betty walks past him. He said goodbye as he walked in and shut the door. Alice pointed at a chair at the table. He sat across from her. She placed a stack of papers in between them.

"What's this?" Hal stared down at the papers.

"Divorce papers."

"Divorce papers?"

"Is that not what I just said?" Alice rolled her eyes again.

"I heard you but why divorce papers?"

Alice scoffed. He knew damn well why he should be expecting them. "Oh I don't know, why the dominatrix?" Hal gaped. He didn't say a word to defend himself. He knew there was no use. She gave him one of her famous unamused looks. "Don't think for a second this wouldn't come back and bite you in the ass. You're a pig."

"Alice-"

"Don't Alice me. We've been married for decades and you betray me for a Blossom. Are you kidding me Hal?"

"I worshiped you for years," Hal frowned.

"You have a funny way of showing it. First you force me to put up my baby for adoption then do the same thing to our daughter knowing how much I hated the idea of abortion. Now she's going to raise those twins with me out of their lives. You make me act as your makeshift Alice Cooper, someone who I am not. Now you go cheat on me behind my back? Do tell me, how is that worship?"

"Alice I-"

"Don't even bother. I signed those papers. Sign them and get out of my house," Alice left a pen on the table and stood up. She walked away without looking back at him.

"Where are you going?" Hal watched her open the front door proud of what she just did.

"To a real man," Alice walked out without another word. She got into the car and knew exactly where she was driving to, specifically who she was driving to. Crossing the train tracks she let herself smile. It was home. The southside was who she was and who she would always belonged to. She drove down to the familar trailer park. FP's trailer still looks like it did ages ago.

She parked behind his trailer. She hopped out the car and knocked on his door. He opened the door surprised to see her. "What brings you to Sunnyside?" He asked curiously. He looked down at her hands. Her wedding ring was missing. She put her hands on his chest. He shut the door since she already let herself in. She pulled him down for a kiss. FP pulled away and looked back at her with a smile. He went back for another kiss. "Betty's not here."

"I know. I came to look for you."

"How come?" He smirked. She tugged on the hem of his shirt. She backed up and he grabbed the collar of his shirt to slip it off. He tossed it aside and pulled her up against his body. Her hands found their way to his back pockets. She dipped her hands in and kept them there. "Happy now?"

"More than you think," Alice pressed her chin against his chest and smiled upwards. He kissed her forehead, "I miss holding you like this. My arms get lonely without you in them."

"I've missed you too," Alice kissed his lips. Their embrace lasted longer than planned but they loved it.

"We got a lot of catching up to do," Alice says.

"Yeah there's a lot to talk about."

"That too," Alice winked. "Come on we already got your shirt off." She got out of the hug and led him to his room. He looked at her with the same smirk and followed her in.