Star Gazing

"Hey," Alice approached FP. She leaned against the tree he was sitting up against. He looked up at her, "Hey."

"What are you doing out here this late at night?"

"I could ask you the same question," FP chuckled. He put his hand up and waited for her hand to land in his. He tugged on it so she could get the hint to sit down. "I don't know. I just like it here. So why are you here?"

"I went for a walk."

"At 10 at night?" He arched an eyebrow.

Alice sighed. "I had an argument with Hal and needed to clear my head."

"Well Sweetwater is a good place to do that."

Alice laid her head on his shoulder. She stared out at the water. "The river flow is very relaxing. It reminds me of simpler times. When all I had to worry about was what cereal I wanted for breakfast."

"I remember when my biggest worry was my dad filling the fridge with more alcohol. Now I have to worry about keeping Jughead away from the man in black and gang rivals."

"Okay, you win."

FP stifled a laugh. "So what did you two claw at each other for anyway?"

"The real question is what don't we claw at each other for."

Twenty minutes later they were lying on the grass next to each other and staring up at the sky. They talked like there was no tomorrow. "No," FP laughed. "I distinctly remember that was Fred, not me."

"FP, if you two got caught streaking in high school then I'm pretty sure you went skinny dipping in the quarry."

"Al, you've seen my goods." FP propped himself up and looked at her. "I think you're just imagining it."

Alice smacked his chest. "Don't be so full of yourself."

"Okay but you weren't complaining when I was-" Alice covered his mouth. "Don't you dare finish that," She blushed. He saw her rosy cheeks and laughed. He moved her hand. "God, I missed this."

"Honestly I did too. I'd rather be here talking to you about your stupidity than go home and fight with Hal about something stupid."

"My stupidity?" FP scoffed. "I beg to differ. I am a very wise man." He huffed.

"The same wise man in a band called The Fred Heads?" She teased.

"I was just the drummer." FP pointed out. "And to be fair I wasn't in the naming committee."

"It was just you and Fred," She stifled a laugh.

"Hence the name The Fred Heads. Stick with me here, Al. Fred was the head of the naming committee." FP tried to remain serious but he couldn't. He laughed and laid back down on his back. "I should have started a union."

"A one man union?" Alice questioned.

"A one man union."

"Oh just shut up and look at the stars with me," She shook her head. She pointed up at the sky. "Is that the big dipper?"

"I don't know what I'm looking at."

"Right there. Don't you see it? It looks like a big pot."

"You want me to look at a pot?"

"I want you to look at the big dipper."

"All I see are stars."

"The stars that shape up the big dipper."

"Oh, I see it now."

"You do?" She smiled.

"No."

Alice moved closer to him. She grabbed his hand and pointed it up at the stars. "Right there. You see it now?"

FP gazed at her instead. "Yeah, it's real pretty." He turned his head back to look at the sky. She looked at him from the corner of her eye. There was something about laying right next to him that made her really happy. "See it wasn't that hard," She turned to look at him. "You just had to look a little more closely."

"I actually didn't have to look that hard."