Walking

•••

•••

FP sat on the floor with Charles on his lap. He turned him around and stood him up in front of him. Charles began to bounce up and down as his legs were working harder to mature. "I love you," He pecked a kiss on Charles' cheek. "I love you." FP kept repeating it to him in his baby voice. Every kiss made the child giggle louder.

"I want to join in on these kisses," Alice walked into the room holding a small bowl of baby snacks. Charles heard her voice and squealed. "Hi baby." She began to approach them.

"Wait wait wait," FP told her. He pointed in front of him. He turned Charles so his back was to him. "Stand over there and call him over there for his snacks."

"He's not the family dog, Forsythe."

"He could learn some tricks too." FP held Charles up by holding onto his tiny hands. "If he walks over to you he gets a treat."

"He's not Hog Dog."

"Doggie!" Charles yelled. Hot Dog came into the room and walked over to FP to lay in his lap. The sheep dog stuck his tongue out and wagged his tail as he watched the baby.

"Baby, do you want a banana puff?" FP asked. His voice remained sweet. "Those cookie things you like. Show him, Al."

Alice picked a puff out of the bowl and waved it out in front of her. "Look honey. Come and get it from mama."

Charles began to take a step forward as he still held onto FP. FP tried to slowly let go so he could do it on his own. Charles fell down and pouted. "It's okay, baby." FP stood him up. "We can try again." Charles was standing again. Hot Dog jumped out of FP's lap and joined Charles' side to protect him from falling again.

"Doggie!"

"Come to mama, sweetie." Alice held her arms put for him. Charles giggled and took a step forward. FP let go again but this time Charles was able to hold himself up. "He's doing it," Alice's excitement was very clear. Charles moved another step forward and kept his arms out to keep himself balanced.

"Attaboy," FP cheered him on. "A couple more steps, bud."

Hot followed Charles with every step he took. When Charles reached Alice he fell into her arms. He looked up and laughed. Alice hugged him but he was busy reaching for the banana puffs. Alice looked over at FP. "He has your appetite." FP shrugged and laughed. Charles handed one of the puffs to Alice to share with her. Alice accepted it and he shoved it into her mouth. "Can I have one too?" FP asked.

"Go give daddy one," Alice turned him to face FP. Charles held the bowl out in front of him. Charles stuck his tongue out as he concentrated. He slowly made his way towards FP. Upon arriving he held the bowl up at his face. He picked out one of the puffs and shoved it in FP's mouth. "Thank you baba." He lifted him up in the air. "You're growing up so fast." He lowered him and kissed his forehead. "Next thing we know you're going to run off and start driving, abandoning your old man." He hugged him tightly. He didn't want to let go of his baby boy. "He just began walking, Jonesy. He's not driving for a very long, long, time."

"That's what you said when he was born," FP slicked the boy's hair back. "And I told you he had just learned to blink."

"That's different."

"How so?"

"He's always going to be our baby boy." Alice sat beside him and yanked Charles away from him so she could hold him now.

"Baby!" Charles babbled as he chewed on his snacks.

"Yes baby," FP pulled the two into a big family hug. "Our baby."