From the Heart

Alice shoved her textbooks into her locker after leaving chemistry. FP was leaning against the locker next to her. She shut her locker. A smile grew on her face when she saw him. "Hey, Al." He was all heart eyes for her. He handed her the rose he was hiding behind his back. "Happy Valentine's day, my love." Alice accepted the flower and tippy toed to kiss him.

"Happy Valentine's day, Jonesy." Alice smiled against his lips. "I got you a little something too." Alice opened her backpack to look for it. While she did that he held out the wrapped gift he had for her. "I got you-" Alice noticed the new gift. "What's this?"

"Open it and see," FP insisted. Alice grabbed it and handed him her gift. "Fair warning, I'm not the greatest, but it's straight from the heart. I know how much you want to be a writer one day." Alice unwrapped the gift carefully and took the book out. She smiled at how adorable it was.

The Great Alice Smith

"What's in this?" Alice flipped to the first page.

"It's a reminder that you're a great writer and will be big one day. Me? I can barely string two words together."

"These pages are full," Alice quickly flipped through the pages. She was going to read it all once she was able to. "You wrote to me."

"I hope you like it," FP sounded nervous.

"I love it," Alice went back to the first page. It was titled Sight for Sore Eyes.

I love your eyes. It was the first thing I saw when I first met you. Just looking into them made me forget the world. They were filled with so much mystery and beauty. I couldn't help but get lost in them. Luckily for me, you covered my eyes and told me your name. Alice, I could never get it out of my head. Now every time I look into your eyes I remember how much I get lost in them.

"It's beautiful, FP." Alice shut the book and gave him her full attention. "Now open your gift."

FP opened the box and took a picture out. He smiled widely. "Where did you get this?" It was a picture of him with his mother when he was very young. Long before she passed away.

"I did some digging," Alice wrapped her arms around him. "I talked to many, many of the Serpents to find that. I know how much you miss your mother and I thought you'd like to have that."

"I love it," FP held her tightly. Her legs swung as he happily spun her.

"Turn it over," Alice told him. FP set her down and turned the image over. He ran his fingers over the ink.

"My baby boy," FP read his mother's handwriting. "This is her writing."

"I know," She nodded. She was very happy for him. "Best-"

"Valentine's"

"Day"

"Ever," FP finished for her. "Now let's go get the lovers special at Pop's."

"After you," Alice chuckled and gestured for him to lead the way. "I do want that milkshake." FP put his arm around her shoulder and pulled her close. They walked out together and headed to the diner.