Midnight

•••

•••

It was the middle of the night and everyone was asleep in the house. Alice woke up to the sound of harsh banging on the front door. "FP, Forsythe wake up," Alice shook FP in bed. He groaned since it was working to wake him up.

"Let me sleep, baby." He pulled on the covers to cover himself again.

"There's someone at the door," Alice sounded worried. Who would be coming to their house in the middle of the night? "What if it's a burglar?"

"A burglar wouldn't knock to let themselves in." FP sat up. He rubbed his eyes and slipped on some sweatpants. "I'll go see who it is. They're going to get an earful if they wake Peewee up. It was hard to put him down tonight. Go back to sleep, sweetheart." He quickly kissed her before stepping out of the room.

"Are you crazy? What if it's a bad guy?"

Peewee sprinted to their room. He clung onto FP's legs terrified by the loud banging downstairs. "They woke him up," FP picked him up and cradled him. He rocked him to calm him down. "Go with mommy, okay? I'm going to go make them go away." FP handed him over to Alice. Peewee held her tightly but looked at FP.

"Daddy! Stranger danger!" Peewee didn't want him to go. He reached his arms out towards him with quivering lips.

"It's okay. They're not going to hurt us." FP kissed his forehead and ruffled his hair. "Stay with mommy and I'll be right back." With that FP went down the stairs to check who was at the door. He heard a bottle break on the other side of the door. He saw that it was Hal making a ruckus. "Al, it's Hal!"

"What does he want?" Alice sighed. She approached the stairs with Peewee in her arms.

"I don't know," FP opened the door to find out. Hal reeked of alcohol. Hal looked into the house. He spotted Peewee. "That little brat. I don't like him at all," Hal slurred and pointed at the young boy. Peewee saw that it was the stranger he didn't like. He was no longer scared. He was angry.

"Go home Hal," Alice sets Peewee down and tells him to go back to bed.

"You knocked up my wife," Hal poked FP on the chest.

"First of all, ex wife," FP clarified. He flicked his hand off of him. "Second of all, you knocked up my girlfriend not once, but twice."

"How dare you make that-" Hal pointed to Peewee who was glaring at him. "-after we raised two daughters together."

Alice was not going to stand there while Hal held a grudge over their two year old son. "To be fair you sired those two daughters after our first son. We were just evening it out."

"I'm sorry my little soldiers gave us sons but we're happy and you can't take that away from us." FP cockily smiled. He was proud to have children with Alice and there's no changing that.

"No one like Hal," Peewee added in. He has heard it around the house and picked up on it.

"What he said," FP nodded in agreement. "Now I'm going to have to ask you to get off our property."

"Leave Hal or else I'll have to call Keller to personally drag you away."

FP slammed the door in his face before Hal could say anything else. Hal cursed and walked away from the house. FP went over to his girlfriend and their son. "Do you want to sleep with mommy and daddy tonight?" He picked Peewee up. Peewee yawns and pulls Alice closer to them. They flopped onto the bed and fell asleep once again. They snuggled together under the covers until Peewee moved to sleep on top of FP's back. He held on tight as he slept. FP was too much of a heavy sleeper to feel the extra weight on him. Alice topped it all off with an arm wrapped around both her boys. She kissed them both then dozed off. They weren't going to let Hal bother them, especially Peewee Jones-Smith.