Seventeen

The final box made its way down the stairs. Alice carried it down the flight of stairs. She stopped on the last step where FP stood in front of her. "That's all of it," Alice had the last of her items in hand. This was no longer her house. She no longer wanted any part of it. To her it was a house full of lies. A house that broke her. Deep down she hoped FP would find better use of it. Even after their recent heartbreak. "I guess you really did live on Elm St. after all."

FP let out a quick, soft chuckle. He took the box from her and sat down on the steps. He placed the box on the floor and gestured for her to take a seat next to him. At first she hesitated but she ultimately sat down next to him. "To be honest I never really thought I'd end up here."

"I never thought you'd be enforcing the law," Alice chuckled. "But boy how things have changed." She put her head on his shoulder. A perfect fit. FP tilted his head to rest against hers. "You're now living in my house with your family and I'm still trying to figure things out."

FP didn't know how to respond. It was a touchy subject for the both of them. He moved his hand over to meet hers, holding it. His thumb ran across her skin. His touch was the sweet sense of security she needed. "I'm really trying to make the most out of my second chance at being a good father."

"You are a good father," Alice assured him. "Look at how well Jughead turned out. And your daughter must be no different."

FP stared out in front of him. "Do you ever just think about him?" FP's question caught Alice off guard. She lifted her head and looked at him. He turned and let their eyes meet. "Would we have been good parents? At seventeen?"

"Do you think we could have?"

Don't you want a life with me?
Can't we be seventeen?
That's all I want to do
If you could let me in
I could be good with you

The faint sound of a baby crying caught her attention. She shut her eyes. The crying was drowned out. She reopened her eyes and was alone on the steps. She scanned the room. She saw herself in the living room with FP. He was holding their baby boy. They were young and deeply in love. "Al, look, look." FP giddily called out for her so she could look at Charles. FP moved his little baby arms to dance. The baby giggled, putting Alice in awe with her boys. Alice pressed a kiss on the crown of Charles' head.

FP looked up at the top of the stairs. He caught a glimpse of little feet running on the second floor. There he was catching up to a younger Jughead and a toddler Jellybean. He swooped them up from the ground, only to pecker kisses on their cheeks. Their laughter was contagious. He lived for their joy. He watched himself run down the stairs, past him, with the two kids. He turned around to let his eyes follow himself. Instead he found his teenage self with Alice and Charles. He smiled at the sight. "Isn't he just so adorable, Jonesy?" Alice was holding the baby out in front of her so he could latch onto FP. Their son would giggle every time FP blew a raspberry on his cheek.

Alice watched her younger self in the living room move on towards the kitchen. Just then her two young daughters came running out of the kitchen with herself hot on their trail. Their giggles gave away their direction. Polly and Betty both stopped next to the stairs and turned to face their mother. They rose their hands up, asking to get picked up. Alice did as asked and swayed softly with them in her arms. The girls rested their heads on her shoulders. She could feel their smiles pressed against her.

FP and Alice looked away from their chimeras to look back at each other. They lived two different worlds yet in their eyes their children were always present. FP put his hand out for Alice to grab. She let her hand fall into his and he pulled her close. He brought his other hand up to her cheek and stroked his thumb across her cheekbone. He dropped his hand. Their foreheads pressed perfectly against each other. She wrapped her arms around his neck. He followed her lead and put his hands on her hips. She gently swayed side to side. FP gladly joined in.

Yeah, we're damaged
Badly damaged
But your love's too good to lose
Hold me tighter, even closer
I'll stay if I'm what you choose

They danced their way around the house. There was no music to dance to but the look in each other's eyes was more than enough to sustain a rhythm. The pair ended up in the dining room, past the living room, away from the stairs. Alice felt the table against her hip. She smiled up at him. "I can't take you seriously when you replaced my dining table with a pool table."

"That's a funny way of saying I love you," FP thought out loud.

"What?" Alice wanted to know if she heard him correctly.

"I love you, Al." He couldn't help but confess to her. "I know my answer is very late. I'm sorry," He apologized as he lifted her chin up, wanting to look straight into her eyes. "But I do love you. Do you love me?"

Alice's face softened up. She nodded ferociously. "I love you, FP." She finally got her chance to verbally tell him. She watched the smile on his face grow wider. He pressed a kiss on her forehead. It took them years but they were finally able to open up to each other and talk about their feelings. Alice stared at his lips then back up at his eyes. He took note of that look in her eye. He leaned in and kissed her. Her sweet lips were soft against his. They parted the kiss and looked at each other one more time. That was it. That was what they both wanted. That was what they both needed. It was a love. Their love.