Condolences

I know their tribute to Luke will be beautiful and I'm not ready to cry when the fourth season airs

•••

The whole town heard the news about the unfortunate death in the Andrews family. Fred was a loved man. There was not a single bad trait about him. He was fair, understanding, and without a doubt a kind soul.

FP didn't take the news well. His long time best friend had passed away and the man didn't deserve to leave so soon. He couldn't believe it happened in a blink of an eye. He remembered how selfless he always was. He always knew when something was off with FP and always intended to help him with whatever he needed.

FP was sitting in his office drowning in tears. He kept the room dark. It was easier for him to hide away from everyone when the lights were off. A part of him was gone with the death and he didn't like it.

Alice was at the station trying to attain a story the RIVW was working on. She saw FP's office from across the hall. She was still in a rough spot with him so she still wasn't anywhere near ecstatic to know he was there too. She walked past the room but she caught a glimpse of him through his window. She couldn't look away. Her heart sank seeing him this down. She knew he needed someone to talk to. She set aside her hard feelings towards him and pushed his door open. FP looked up and quickly looked away. She let herself in and reached for the light switch. "No, leave them off." He said. "Please."

Alice listened and walked to him. She didn't say anything yet. She pulled up a chair next to him and took him into her embrace. He didn't go against it. He slowly gave in and fell right into her arms. He sobbed into her shoulder. "He's gone," He softly said. "He's really gone."

"I know," She gently spoke to him. "I loved him too but he's in a better place now, as hard as it is to admit. He doesn't need to worry about this hellhole of a town anymore. He can finally have the peace he deserves."

He looked up at her. He knew she was right but he didn't want to say goodbye. "He was the only one who ever gave a crap about me...well other than you."

"I think I could say he did a much better job. He kept you in check when you started to slip."

"Alice, I'm scared."

"Why?"

"I need my best friend."

"Hey, he'll always be looking out for you."

It was silent for a few minutes until he spoke. "Why are you here...with me?" He asked. "I've been an asshole to you and you're here keeping me company."

"Because setting aside our differences, we need someone to get through this with. Freddie isn't like any other man I know."

"I can agree with you on that." FP sat up straight. He reached for the lamp on his desk. He turned the thing on and Alice was able to see his strained eyes. He avoided her eyes, ashamed of himself for what he had done the last time she came in here. "I know I'm sorry for what I did to you. I thought what I was doing was the right thing but it wasn't and you were right."

"No, you had your reasons. I understand that. You're still married to her. You were trying to fix your family. It's something I know I would have done too in your shoes." Alice admitted. "But what you said hurt. Having to face reality a third time hurt. FP, she's not the only one with a child of yours. The fact that you didn't acknowledge that truly hurt the most. It was like you were using that against me. Just because we didn't get the chance to raise Charles together."

"That's not what I meant," FP genuinely thought so. "Believe me. I know you mean a lot more to me than you think."

"So what am I supposed to think?"

"It's more like what you're supposed to know." FP held one of her hands. "I never was able to get the words out of my mouth. As much as I want to it doesn't roll off of my tongue. I thought I could say it in other ways like being there for you and showing you what lengths I would go to for you but I was wrong. You deserve better from me. Hell, you have the right to give me the cold shoulder for the rest of my life but you put that aside and came in here to help me. No one I know would have done that."

"What are you trying to say?" Her heart began to race.

He took every bit of courage he had in him to tell her he loved her. He's always know but was never the greatest communicator. "I love you, Alice. I can't say I ever loved someone the way I loved you."

"You seriously love me?" Alice's eyes began to well.

"Cross my heart," FP was always certain. "I should have told you but I was afraid."

"Why?"

"I've been in love with you for years but things never went our way. If I told you that I loved you I was afraid to lose you. It was easier to mask everything than worry about losing it all one day. A guy like me doesn't deserve someone like you."

"Forsythe, you deserve more than you hold yourself accountable for. I'm not going anywhere," She put a hand on his knee. "It will take a whole lot to try to get rid of me."

"Promise?"

"I promise," She assured him. "I can't picture myself ever not loving you."

"I don't deserve your beautiful love but I know I'm happy to get it." FP hugged her close. "I think this is where Fred would have smacked me upside the head for not pushing myself harder with you before."

"He'll still have his ways," Alice smiled.

"I believe that." FP looked up at the sky. "Fred, if I ever hurt her again for something stupid I did, send something my way."

"Not too extreme though," Alice warned. "I still love him too much to see him hurt.