Ain't No Sunshine

Song AU | Falice Week
•••

When winter sprung nights in the trailer got colder. He didn't have the warmth of a loving companion to keep him from shivering. He missed her in his arms. He missed her snuggling up next to him. He definitely missed her presence at home. It broke his heart when she moved across the train tracks to the Northside. He waited for the day she would return. If she did, he would think.

He would spend some nights at the Whyte Wyrm drinking to forget. He would sit in his usual spot at the bar and let Hog Eye pour him a couple rounds before he called it quits.

Other nights he would go to Pop's and get himself warm meals. Pop Tate would bring him his favorite, fried chicken, alongside a warm smile. He enjoyed his friendliness but he couldn't say he was happy.

FP took a drive back home and saw the drive-in on the way. He decided to stop and so he turned back around. He pulled into the lot. He remembered the good times he spent there. It was with her.

He sat in his car in silence. He stared out at the emptiness. It was daunting. It wasn't the same without her. After a few minutes passed he made the decision to leave.

He walked into his trailer and went straight to the refrigerator. He grabbed water and gulped it down. He flopped down onto his bed and stared up at the ceiling. He wondered where she was and how she was.

The following night he went back to the Wyrm. Only this time it felt different for a cold winters day. The Serpents gathered around a garbage can they lit on fire outside in the parking lot. FP joined in and was handed a beer. He watched the flames gradually rise. He hovered his hands over the fire. He felt warm.

He felt a tap on his shoulder. He turned his head to see who it was. His heart melted when his eyes landed on her. "Alice?" The group burst and gave them privacy. They went inside, leaving the pair by the fire. "What are you doing here?"

"I wanted to see you."

"I never thought I'd see you around here anymore." He retracted his hands from the flames. "Are you cold? Do you want to go inside? It's kinda dark."

She nodded. He lead the way in and up to his office so they could talk. She took a seat in front of him. It was silent between the two. That was until she spoke up. "How have you been?"

"Truth be told?" Alice nodded. "It's been hard. You know how the winter days go."

"I know how chilly it can get."

"How is it?"

"How's what?"

"The northside? Is it treating you well?" FP looked down at his desk. He didn't want to look up at her. "I haven't seen you in a while,"

"It's...different." Alice didn't know the perfect word for it. "But it's not like home." FP looked up in confusion. "It's not the same as here on the southside."

"What about it?"

"It doesn't have you."

"You don't mean that," He shook his head. "There's so much in the northside that can make you successful. It can give you the opportunities you don't get here."

"Not all of them," She sighed. "I don't want all of that. I want you."

"You do?"

"Yes. I wouldn't want that without you anyway."

The two caught up on everything they missed out on. There was laughter. There was tears. But most importantly there was the spark of love again. They still felt strong about each other after he let her go. Nothing changed that.

Eventually they fell asleep. It was one long night between the two.

In the morning, a ray of sunlight beamed on his face and woke him up. He lifted his head and saw Alice sleeping peacefully on the couch. It warmed his heart to have her here. His jacket gave her more warmth as he had covered her last night. He stood up to stretch then walked over to her. She wasn't that far from waking up too. She fluttered her eyes and saw him approaching. "Good morning," She smiled.

"Good morning, Al."

"It's getting kind of warm in here." She moved the jacket to the couch. She sat up. "I can't believe we fell asleep."

"It was a long night."

"I'm glad to be back."

"Me too."