Blind Date

•••

•••

Alice went back to her southside roots after the divorce. She felt more comfortable letting loose and having fun like she used to before being pulled out of the southside. She finally had a date after her divorce was finalized. Betty set her up with a single man she met at her internship. Alice wasn't too big on the idea but a small date sounded better than being cooped up at home. The man appeared at their front door at eight sharp. "Mom! He's here!" Betty yells before she opened the door. "Hello Mr. Carter."

"Hello Betty," He smiled. Alice came down the stairs dressed for dinner. The man looked towards the stairs to see his blind date. Alice came to the door to politely greet him. "Hello, you must be Mr. Carter."

"Hello, you can call me Richard," He says. He grabbed her hand and leads her out the door. "I've only been in Riverdale a few times but I hear Pop's is a well recommended diner here."

"It is, " Alice confirms. "I assume that is where we're going?"

"Yes," Richard opens the car door for her. He was from Greendale so he was not to familiar with this town. "If you don't mind."

"No, it's fine. The diner has great food."

Alice walked into the diner with a smile. FP was cleaning up a table when he saw her. He smiled at the sight of her. She looked beautiful, especially since she was embraced who she truly is at heart. His smile dropped when he saw that she wasn't here alone. Richard came in and escorted her to a booth. He leaned in to whisper in her ear. FP heard her sweet laugh and grew jealous of the man she was with. A waiter came out of the kitchen ready to go attend them but FP beat him to it. "I've got it," FP put the tray in his hand and went over to Alice's booth.

"What can I get you Alice?" FP perkily asks to hide the envy he has for Richard. "The usual?"

"That would be great," Alice nods.

FP then looked over at Richard with an irritated look. "And for you?" FP gritted through his teeth. Alice saw the change in mood but did not speak on it. Richard was still looking at the menu that he didn't notice FP's attitude towards him. "He'll try what I am having," Alice helped him out on his decision.

"Yeah, I'll give it a try." Richard handed FP both the menus.

"Great," FP said passive aggressively. "I'll be back with soon with your orders."

"Are you a regular here?" Richard asks her after FP leaves.

"Huh?"

"He said your usual. Does that mean you come to the diner a lot?" He was starting up a friendly conversation.

"Oh, yes. I've been coming here since I was a young girl."

"It must be that good then," He chuckles. She smiles and looks over at the kitchen. She catches FP staring and he plays it off. She waited for him to lock eyes again. When they did she hinted to meet her in the bathroom. "I'm going to go powder my nose. I'll be right back," Alice excused herself from the table and walked to the bathroom. She waited a few minutes for FP to appear. She let him in and immediately scolded him. "What was that about?"

"What was what about?" He knew what she was talking about.

"The passive aggressive act. You've been eyeing my date ever since I got here."

"I'm not sorry about it."

"Are you jealous?"

"Jealous? Ha, no."

"You're jealous that I'm on a date with another man."

"Am not."

"Are so. Then why do you care so much?" She got him there.

"Because I'm crazy about you and you're dating another man that's not me, okay? Fine I'm jealous that that's not me with you."

"You think I even want to be here?" Alice teased. She gave him a mirthful smile. "I'm only doing this for Betty. She set me up on this blind date."

"Okay maybe now I feel a tad bit better."

"How about this?" Alice pulled him down towards her and kissed him. When they parted he smiled so brightly. "Okay now I feel a lot better."

"I'll go tell him it's not going to work out. Too bad he drove down all the way from Greendale."

"If that's supposed to make me feel guilty it's only working a little. He's a big boy. He can drive himself to the other side of Sweetwater."

"You're cruel," Alice laughed.

"That's because I'm not sharing you, Al." He pecked another kiss on her lips.