Ring

•••

•••

FP's arm was stretched out underneath Alice and curled up around her waist. Alice was still asleep so he quietly laid there. He smiled at how beautiful she looked asleep. Her face was tucked into the crook of his neck. He kissed her forehead and leaned his head against hers. She looked so peaceful. He ran his thumb up and down her back while musing. He started to feel her move but he was still staring up at his ceiling. She moved her head up to look at him. She moved it over to his chest where she left a sweet kiss before letting her chin cave into it. "Good morning," FP's raspy voice let out. He wrapped his other arm around her. He saw the sparkle in her eyes. It was like watching the fireworks on New Years.

"Good morning," Alice yawned. She hasn't gotten rid of the smile on her face since yesterday. After the kids all went camping the two were free to see each other.

"It feels so different to not wake up alone." FP loved this old feeling of warmth. He loved it even more knowing it was Alice by his side.

"It feels perfect to wake up by your side." Alice brought a hand up to his chin and pulled his face down so she could kiss him on the lips.

"And to think we missed out on this," FP chuckled. He didn't care as long as he was able to again.

"Well we were both stupid."

"No I was stupid. You just got to be all pretty."

"You're such a dork," Alice pulled the covers up. She then proceeded to dig her arms underneath him as she held him.

"That may be but you still got to be the pretty one."

"Well, handsome, I still believe this face is a sight for sore eyes," Alice squeezed his cheeks.

"Maybe I don't look so shabby," He said through his squeezed face. "I've always been kind of dashing, haven't I?"

"It's like John Bender and Danny Zuko had a love child."

"Al," FP laughed.

"What? You know it's true."

"Maybe a little," He admitted.

"Take me back to the golden days." Alice smiled. FP gently sets her aside and gets out of bed. He walked over to the closet to look for something. "What are you doing?"

"You reminded me of something." FP tippy toed and grabbed a tiny box he hid on the top. He went back over to her but kept the box closed. "I was going to give you this when we were younger but never got the chance to."

"What is it?" Alice sat up. FP sits beside her and opens it. There was a ring inside meant for her when they were dating. "I bought you a promise ring. I was disappointed when I didn't get to give it to you but maybe now that we're seeing each other again I could finally give it to its rightful owner." FP grabbed her hand and slid it into her finger. It replaced the suntan from her old wedding band.

"It's beautiful," Alice kissed him after admiring it. FP smiled and was in awe. "I love you."

"I love you too," Alice wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him again.

"I've got to-" FP was trying to speak in between the kisses. "-get ready for work."

"Well I'm coming-" Alice smiled. "-with you."

•••

Alice sat in a booth with FP across from her. The diner was empty so he was able to sit down and have a conversation with Alice. "I still think I was the best."

"No I was. You know I was better than you."

"That's a lie. I drank 5 in under thirty seconds with the wyrm." FP smirked. "You always tell Hog Eye to hold the wyrm for you." He left her speechless so he chuckles. "Out of words, are we?"

"Shut up," She rolled her eyes. She crossed her arms and he thought it was adorable.

"I love you too, baby." FP cheekily smiled. Alice couldn't stay mad at his cute face. She tried to fight the smile on her face and he knew that. "I know you want to show me that beautiful smile of yours."

The door opened and Fred walked in followed by Hermione. They turned and saw FP and Alice in a booth. They approached them and joined them. "Hey, can we sit?" Fred asked on their behalf. FP nods and gets up to move. Fred and Hermione slide into the same side of the booth causing FP to switch to Alice's side. FP liked the change. "So what were we talking about?" Hermione asked.

"The fact that I can have a better drinking tolerance than Alice." FP said then thought about how that sounded. He was still a recovering drunk. "I can now hear how weird it sounds phrased that way."

"Maybe no more drinks for you." Alice teased.

A few more customers came in to fill the diner and FP knew it was his cue to get back to work. "As much as I'd like to sit in this intervention. I have to get back to work." FP excused himself. He pecked a kiss on Alice's lips as a reflex and then realized what he had done. Hermione and Fred looked at them with confused looks on their faces. They had to think quick. "Clearly you're still drunk," Alice said. "He gets a little too friendly when he's drunk."

FP walked away without saying any else. Fred and Hermione looked at Alice. Alice shrugged and hoped they played it off well. "Maybe he shouldn't go to the bar every Friday night anymore," Fred looked at FP. FP was taking orders on the other side of the diner.

"I'll make sure he cuts down on drinks." Alice nonchalantly said. "We wouldn't want him to get too friendly."

"What's that?" Hermione pointed at Alice's finger. She saw the ring on her finger.

"Oh this," Alice looked down at her finger. "Just a little something from the past. I just felt like it was time to bring it back. It's very special to me."

"Well it looks beautiful," FP smiled as he came back with a tray of milkshakes.

"Eyes off Forsythe. You're not getting your hands on it." Alice teased. She put a hand over her ring. FP sets the drinks down on the table. "Well that's a shame. I guess I'll just get myself something a little better."

"In your dreams."

"Oh especially in my dreams." She could see his love for her in his eyes. He was trying his best to act normal around their friends. "But I guess it's a good thing I am living them out already."