Detective Smith 2

FP and Alice gathered up the kids and had them all sit on the couch. "We assume there are a couple of questions you want answers to," FP brought Alice a chair so she could sit. He pulled up a chair next to her.

"I have another brother?" Jellybean blurted out in confusion.

"Yes," FP told his youngest. "We were very young when Alice had him."

"We," Alice corrected him. She rested a hand on his knee. "It was very complicated but we had a beautiful baby boy. Unfortunately I had to give him away." Charles looked at his parents. Alice reached for his face. She grabbed his chin. "If I could go back in time I would have changed how things played out. I didn't want to give you up."

"It's okay. I understand. The past is in the past now." Charles didn't break eye contact with her. Alice felt terrible for everything he went through. "I take full responsibility for everything. It's all my fault."

"Al," FP grabbed her hand. "It's not. It's mine."

"It's my dad's," Betty corrected them both. "You two had no fault in this."

"Though maybe protection would of-" Jughead yelped when Betty pinched him to shut up. "Betty's right. Even though this is a little weird for us right now we know it's not your fault for what happened to our brother."

"I thought you loved mom," Jellybean stared at her father. "You do, don't you? What about me and Jug?"

"I love you and your brother with all I've got," FP shook his head. "But your mom..."

"You do love her, don't you?"

"I'm sorry, I can't give you the answer you might want." FP confessed. Alice carefully listened. Jellybean's eyes went down to FP's hand still holding Alice's. "Do you love her?" FP looked at Alice. She was anxious for an answer too. Their eyes locked, drowning out everything in the room except each other. "Yeah, I do. I really do." The kids watched them intently. The grip on their hands got stronger.

"You do?" Alice said softly.

"I've loved you for years, Al."

"Well it must be a good time to tell you I've been in love with you for the longest time."

"So what does this mean?" Betty interrupted their moment.

"Have we been missing out on something?" Jughead asked too.

"Sounds like my folks love each other," Charles whispered to them but his parents were in their own little bubble anyway. He tapped on his ear. "Listen."

Jellybean stood up and walked over to her father. She tapped on his shoulder. He snapped out of his daze to look at her. "Are you happy?"

"I am," He answered truthfully.

"Then that's all that matters."

"Come here," FP opened his arms wide for her. He hugged his daughter and pressed a kiss on her temple. "I know it's a hard thing to talk about but it means the world to me that you understand." He looked over at Jughead next. "You too, boy."

"You deserve it, dad. I've never actually seen you truly this happy." Jughead meant every word. "I know I've told you I wanted the family back together but maybe that's not the family we were supposed to bring back together. I'm pretty sure this is the family that was meant to be fixed."

"You mean that?"

"Yeah, dad. I'm happy. You're happy. And I guess it's safe to assume that we're all happy."

"Same for you, mom." Betty agreed with Jughead. "I've noticed how you talk about Mr. Jones. It's nothing like what it was with you and dad. You love this man and I believe you should give it a try if you haven't already."

"I don't have much to say but the way you've been touching each other this whole time has to mean something." Charles could see the spark between them too. "I mean come on, look at me." He cheekily smiled.

"You're my handsome baby." Alice smiled widely at Charles as she rested her head on FP's shoulder. FP slipped an arm around her middle, pulling her in.

"Well, Al, what do you say to finally trying? Officially this time?"

"This time?" Betty and Jughead questioned.

"I'd love to, Jonesy." She pecked a kiss on his cheek.