Brothers

•••

•••

Charles swung by his parents' house early in the morning. He knocked on the door but let himself in, seeming as no one heard him. He looked around and could see Betty and Jellybean making themselves breakfast in the kitchen. He wandered over to them. "Good morning."

"Oh, hey." Betty smiled.

"My favorite gumshoe," Jellybean gave him a quick side hug as she poured herself coffee.

"Where are they?" Charles asked, referring to his parents.

"Getting ready for work," Betty pointed upwards. "Mom is getting Peewee dressed I think."

Charles nodded. "I'm going to head on up."

"While you're up there, can you hurry dad up? He's my ride to school." Jellybean requested.

"Sure thing." Charles walked up the stairs. He could hear Alice with Peewee. The boy was running around. "Ezekiel Jones, come back here mister! You need to get ready!" He could also hear FP which made him chuckle. "Alice! Alice! Can you help me tie this stupid thing?" FP stepped out of their bedroom to look for her in Peewee's room.

"FP, I don't have the time to dress another child." Alice said as she helped him with his tie.

Charles poked his head into the room. "Rough morning?" His parents turned to look at him.

"Charlie, you're here early. Great to see you, sweetheart. I'm really sorry for the late notice last night but I have a meeting to get to very soon and your father is off to work all day."

"It's fine. It'll be great to take the kiddo out for the day."

"Thanks, baby. Good luck today. I'll see you later." FP pecked a kiss on Alice's lips. He ruffled Peewee's hair. "Be good for your big brother today." He lastly turned to Charles. "Again, thank you so much. You're a lifesaver. I really have to get going. I'll catch up with you in the evening." FP left the room. He jogged down the stairs. "Girls, are you ready to go?"

"I've got it," Charles grabbed the shirt from Alice. "You're going to be late, mom. I can finish up here."

"You're the best," Alice handed him the clothes. "Love you both," She pecked a kiss on both of their cheeks. "If you need anything just give me or your father a call."

"I've got this. Go on." Charles assured her. "I've worked with kids before."

Alice made her way out of the house after FP and the girls, leaving the two brothers alone. "Arms up," Charles told the boy so he could slip the shirt on him. "Attaboy." He smiled. "So what do you want to do today? Do you want to go to Pop's? The park?"