Missing

•••

•••

FP opened the filing cabinet and dropped a folder in. He was fixing up his office before locking up to go home. He walked over to his coatrack by the door and grabbed his jacket. The small Serpent patch inside made him smile. It felt like he was carrying a piece of him, home, around. He never intended to forget where he came from. It would always remind him of how far he has come.

He shut the lights off on his way out and locked his door. He wanted to get home to his family. Upon reaching the house he kicked his shoes off at the door, tucking them away in the closet.

"Hey, how was work?" Alice walked out of the kitchen when she heard the door.

"It's been a long day. I'm just happy to be home." FP pecked a quick kiss on her lips before shrugging his jacket off. "What have you been up to?"

"I helped Jellybean a bit with her history project before Toni came for her. She's very invested on the town's history."

"Huh, so Jughead hasn't come back home yet? I know they mentioned they would work on that assignment together."

"I don't know. I haven't seen him. I figured he was with you. Betty is upstairs in her room."

"No...he would have just come here straight after classes."

The doorknob turned and the two adults turned to see who had arrived. "Thanks, Toni!" Jellybean waved goodbye. Toni smiled back and waited for her to go in before Cheryl drove them away. Jellybean walked in and saw her father in the hall. "Look what Toni's grandpa gave me for my project. I'm for sure going to get an A."

"Hi, sweetheart." FP hugged her. "Did Jughead join you?"

"No," She shook her head. "He was supposed to go with me to interview Thomas Topaz about the Uktena and the town's founding."

FP looked at Alice worried. This wasn't like Jughead to bail on what he said he was going to do. "JB, do you think you can take Hot Dog out for a walk?" Alice thought of an excuse to get her out of the house. "You can join Archie. He should be walking Vegas soon."

"Okay!" Jellybean squealed. She ran up to her room to drop off her stuff before going to go find the sheepdog.

"Do you think he's okay?" FP asked while trying to sound calm.

"Let's not overreact just yet." Alice placed her hands over his chest. She could feel his heart beating fast. "He might have just stopped to get something to eat. The boy is always hungry."

"Yeah, yeah, maybe you're right." FP ran a hand through his hair.

"I'll send Archie a quick text to expect JB. That should keep her occupied while we figure this out." Alice grabbed her phone.

The pair heard the sound of paws running down the stairs, followed by the ones that belonged to Jellybean. She jogged down with a leash in her hand. "I'll be back soon."

"Okay," FP hugged her tightly. "Stick with red." He pecked a kiss on the top of her head.

"Can you loosen up a bit there, daddy?" Jellybean breathed out with a chuckle. "You're hugging me too tight."

"Yeah, sorry." FP put on a smile. He still didn't release her. She squirmed out of his hold and walked over to Hot Dog. She knelt down and tied the leash around the dog. "Okay, bye!" Jellybean waved before letting herself out.

Alice saw the nervous look on his face. "She'll be safe with Archie. The boy survived a bear attack, you know."

"I guess so," FP sighed. He heard a door fly open upstairs so he looked towards the staircase.

"Mom!" Betty rushed down the stairs. She was hysterical. Tears were ready to fall out. "Mom, we need to call Mr. Jones!" She ran into FP first. She handed him the phone shakily. "It-it's Jug. He needs help." She stuttered. His heart dropped. Alice saw his face drain color. He grabbed onto the railing and she sat him down on the stairs. He let the voicemail play.

Betty, I love you. Call my dad, please! Call my dad! He'll know what to do. I'm shut in a box. I was on my way home and I really don't know where I am now. Send help!

The message was cut off at the end. Alice helped Betty stay up. "He's going to be okay, honey. We'll bring him home." She walked her over to the couch so she could take a seat. She held her tightly as she clung to her. She rubbed her back as she cried on her shoulder. "He will come home." Alice looked over at FP, who wasn't any better. "Okay? I need to go talk to FP. Do you think you'll be alright?"

Betty nodded. She wiped her tears with the end of her sleeves. Alice slowly released her and walked over to FP. He hid himself behind the palm of his hands. Alice took a seat next to him. "We will find him. I can give Charles a call. His team can help us find Jughead." She remained strong for her daughter and FP. They needed reassurance and hope.

"I was on the verge of losing him just one summer ago. I can't let it happen again." FP weakly told her. Alice wrapped her arms around him. He laid his head on her shoulder, still trying to hide his face.

"You're not going to lose him. He's a fighter just like his father. He won't let anything happen to him. He's coming home."

"Are you sure? I'm so terrible at protecting him. My own son."

"You are a great father. You protect him the best you can and that's why he will come home. We're bringing him home." Alice pressed a finger on his chest. "You're bringing him home. We won't rest until he's home, safe and sound."

FP nodded. He believed her and he was very grateful for having her in his life again. She would always be there for him.